The Facebook

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Scorpion King

Being a fan of the first two Mummy films, I had little hope for The Scorpion King. Here was my thinking in 2002 when it was released. A new movie being promoted as the next in the "Mummy" series. A movie without any of the original cast, and the lead star is a wrestler? The Rock? Who the hell is that? I knew who he was in '02, I'm just saying, I have no loyalty to The Rock. I was a Stone Cold Steve Austin fan, and you chose one guy or the other. You can't split loyalty. Plus, to this point, I hadn't seen any wrestler successfully make the transition from the ring to the screen. Repeatedly being told this movie is actually good, we decided to give it a shot last night, and it wasn't bad. The action was really good, and the story was decent. I do think the comic relief could've been stronger, but all in all it's good. The Rock is a mercenary of sorts. He is hired to kill the bad guys sorceress, but when he has the opportunity to kill her, he can't. Instead he shifts his anger towards Memnon, a really bad dude, he gains notoriety through fear and mayhem. He must be dethroned for a peaceful future. The Rock, as we all know by now, is a good actor. With a nice resume' under his belt, he did what Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Stone Cold and John Cena never could. Be taken seriously with first run blockbuster success. So much success he has officially dropped The Rock moniker and is strictly known as Dwayne Johnson. He did go with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for a while, but I think he was finally done with the middle name around the time of The Gameplan, or the Tooth Fairy. Talk about quality. I do have high hopes he returns to form with his new flick "Faster". What The Scorpion King did remind me of was the action movies of old. Movies like Conan and the like.

NBM rates The Scorpion King - Great

Buy Your Copy Today




No comments:

Post a Comment