The Facebook

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Goonies


The Goonies : Part 1
Perspective from The Jester : Born 1982

Goonies is celebrating 25 years of never saying "Die". This movie came out when I was 3, and I did watch it an awful lot growing up, but I do feel I lost out, and I will tell you why. I feel that if I had been the age of the Goonies when it was released, it would have meant so much more to me. Think of it this way. I probably saw it for the first time when I was 8 or 9, that means that the music and clothes, and friendships were 5 years old. If I would have been 10 when it was released, and saw it in the theater, I can only imagine the impact on my childhood it could've had. Don't get me wrong, I love the Goonies, but my love for the film would've been exponentially higher if I had seen it in the theater. I know I liked this movie, but several years went by where I did not watch it a single time. Then A-Bomb moves in and he explains how The Goonies was a staple of his youth. I did not understand this, but in the last 6 years I have seen the Goonies probably 25 times. I do have a new appreciation for the great film, and I do wish I had a gang to hang out with growing up. I mean the film is filled with so many classic moments including The Truffle Shuffle, Booty traps (that's what I said booby traps) the Fratelli's, and the most unlikely hero of all time, Sloth. We know Sloth is a freaky looking man who likes Rocky Road ice cream, and he loves Chunk. He can wiggle his ears independently, and dislikes his mother and brothers for keeping him chained up like an animal. Mikey is the leader of this rag tag group of pre-pubescent boys who call themselves The Goonies. They are about to lose their entire way of life to the bank if they don't get enough money together to save the goondocks. This is where the adventure begins. Mikey has heard the lore of "One Eyed Willie" and his lost treasure, that not even Chester Copperpot could find. the boys find a treasure map, so they must try. They have to deal with some gangsters called The Fratellis, who want the treasure also. Brand is the older brother to Mikey and doesn't like dealing with this non sense, but is quickly immersed in the action as well. Mikey has the heart of a lion, and doesn't ever give up, because "Goonies never say die!"




The Goonies : Part 2
Perspective from The A-Bomb : Born 1974

So, the Jester asked a near impossible task of me. I mean how do you review a movie with such iconic impact? I saw this movie in the theater as an 11 year old. I grew up with the Goonies. I have seen it more than any other movie ever. Heck even my 7 yr old has seen it 3 times in the last 6 months (not sure if it is because he likes it as much as me or he is just sitting with me while I watch). I can’t actually write an objective review of the Goonies. An objective review may not be as kind to a movie with some improbable story developments and a few mediocre special effects. Instead I want to focus on what the movie is. Awesome. A huge impact on the psyche of a growing boy. One of my favorite movies of all time. The story of adventure, treasure hunts, evading and capturing evil, humor, pirates, booty traps (that’s what I said), and love…not just teenage puppy love, but deep enduring friendships both old and new. Too some folks reading this blog, Sean Astin may be identified with “Rudy” or “Sam (LOTR Trilogy), Corey Feldman “any number of Corey Haim sidekick characters, most notably Lost Boys”, Josh Brolin as “W” or from No Country for Old men, and finally Jonathan Ke Quan as “Short Round” from Indy 2. But to me, these guys are forever linked together as Mikey, Brand, Mouth and Data. (By the way, the Fratellis-bad guys- are extremely memorable characters. Anne Ramsey-Momma from Throw Momma from the Train, Robert Davi-quintessential bad guy (he is even as prick as a cop in Die Hard), and everyone’s favorite turncoat from Matrix-Joey Pantoliano. I can not recommend this movie enough. If you have never seen it (though I am sure nearly everyone has) then skip renting it. Just go ahead and buy it. It is as good the 100th time as it was the first time. I give this film two Truffle Shuffles up (Could never forget Chunk) straight to cinematic work of art.
**On a side note, a few years ago I watched Goonies at a local theater at a midnight showing, and again at a showing during a Movies on the Square in my home town. I count myself as extremely lucky to get the chance to watch this movie on the big screen once (twice?) again. If you find yourself with this same opportunity, make sure to take it. You won’t regret it.
**Another side note.  This movie is being re-released to celebrate it.  I will buy it on Blu-Ray.  This movie is good enough to own on three formats – VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray.  Hopefully there are some more extras.  It took 20 yrs for me to find out that “The Octopus was very scary” actually referred to a deleted scene and not Data making crap up.


A-Bomb and The Jester rate The Goonies - A Cinematic Work of Art


Buy Your Copy Today












No comments:

Post a Comment