The Facebook

Friday, December 17, 2010

TRON

Considered one of the biggest flops in cinema history at the time. TRON was made for $17 million back in 1982 and only grossed out at $33 million. In 1982 computers were the size of rooms and unaffordable by common men. I think that is why it had box office woes. Today computers are ubiquitous, but in 1982 the words "computer program", and "software" were not relative terms. We did not own our first computer machine until 1995 and it was, by today's standards, a piece of crap. Not only did it suck, but it cost a fortune. Windows 95 and all. Amazing how far we have come since then, let alone 1982. I think I watched TRON once as a child and was so lost I never watched it again. With the release of Tron: Legacy, I have watched TRON 3 times in 3 days all taking place about 6 weeks ago. It's genius cannot be described, but must be witnessed first hand. It is still mind boggling to me and I am not the ignorant little boy who couldn't afford a computer, but now I own several, and I know a bit about them, but still cannot fathom being thrust into a program and having to survive. Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) is a gamer and game designer who feels his old company stole his idea, so he hacks in to get proof. The MCP or Master Control Program sucks Flynn into the computer where his alter ego Clu must survive. TRON is the new security program sent to shut down MCP for all his wrong doing. Clu and TRON must thrive in this environment and take down MCP to save reality. Clu thinks it's just a game. He doesn't realize if he dies, it's game over for him and Flynn. TRON must eliminate MCP for the greater good of both worlds. It is a film that should have you in awe the entire time. A film this advanced for it's time that very few movie goers probably even understood. The sequel comes out today and I am excited. Looks like a great premise for a sequel and the technology finally caught up. What started out as simple espionage to prove he was ripped off, Flynn is in for the fight of his life. I predict Tron: Legacy will exceed the $300 million mark domestically, which sounds like a lot, but with a budget in the high $200 millions, percentage wise it would be more of a failure than the first film, but I bet it is not seen that way at all. Just my opinion. We are having a viewing party of the first film followed by a trip to the theater to watch the second film tonight and I could not be more stoked. Unless I don't get tickets, you will get that review on the morrow. I hope the 3D doesn't suck. I am still on the fence about that reason to boost my ticket price.

NBM rates TRON - A Work of Cinematic Art!!!

Buy Your Copy Today (If you can afford it)




2 comments:

  1. You impatient bastard. You were supposed to wait until today to watch this movie. A double posting of the original and the sequel is the way you should have done this.

    BOOOOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I rated this review as Wrong. Not because you were off-base - it was actually a very good write up. I gave it that rating because it's just wrong that you jumped the gun, watched it three times and posted this before the viewing party tonight.

    ReplyDelete