The Facebook

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Last Dragon

Having been lambasted for months from my "Older" friends for not having seen The Last Dragon we scheduled a viewing party. I consider it a party, because there were 4 people present, booze, and nacho cheese dip. I felt good, because essentially the party was thrown in my honor. So last night, it was myself Dean-o, the AP and The A-Bomb sitting through this mid eighties answer to the Martial Arts movement of the era. What I really enjoyed about this movie was, well, everything. When you watch older, cheesy movies as an adult with guys who actually saw it as kids or young adults if you will, you what's gonna transpire. The ones who have seen it will love, while the 3rd party viewer will wonder WHY? they love it. I pride myself in having a very unbiased mind when it comes to seeing old movies for the first time. I really can take myself back in time and enjoy it for what it was at the time, and The Last Dragon delivered. The thing that surprised me most was the really good acting job by Taimak (Bruce LeRoy). I cannot believe he didn't do more movies, and BTW, I am serious. He plays The Last Dragon. A very mild mannered, soft spoken, Kung Fu "Master?" He will take down baddies, but will only use enough force to subdue the situation. He ends up pissing of several bad dudes, but none worse than Sho-Nuff, or Mr. Nuff as he is referred. He is a self proclaimed master as needs to beat down LeRoy to sustain his rep. LeRoy often declines the fight, as he knows it will do no good. His entire destiny is to Find "The Glow" and be the Master. He knows what must be done, and he does it. Vanity is his love interest, because he saves her from peril a few times, and chicks dig stuff like that. I don't know why, but I am excited to know the re-make will be coming to the screen shortly starring Taimak and Samuel L Jackson as Sho-Nuff.
**On a side note, the picture at the top of this post was retrieved off a website called badmovies.org. Ironic? I think so.

As a child I would've most definitely rated this higher, but as an adult able to travel back through time in his mind during viewings of old movies I will rate The Last Dragon - Awesome

Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment