The Facebook

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Necessary Roughness

With College Football kicking off its 2010 season this weekend, (WOO-HOO), it felt only right to talk about a college football movie. As disturbed as you all may be that I have picked Necessary Roughness, instead of the fan favorite which starts with an R and ends with an UDY, which got way too much praise in my opinion. As it is a good movie, I don't get what the fuss is all about. Blastphemist! I know. Leave me alone. Anyway, Necessary Roughness was a great comedy back in 1991 starring Scott Bacula, my man. It also had several other familiar faces from that time, such as Sinbad, Robert Loggia, Hector Elizondo, and Kathy Ireland. A couple of peeps I didn't remember were Rob Schneider and Jason Bateman. Now that I think about it, I do vaguely remember Bateman, but I don't know who he played. Bacula plays hometown high school hero, Paul Blake. Now a 36 year old farmer with all of his college eligibility in tact, is asked to QB for the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. The school cannot offer scholarships due to NCAA violations, so they must build a rag tag team from students already enrolled. What 36 year old man, who did not get a real shot to show his talent at a collegiate level, would pass this opportunity up? None that I know of. It would be awesome, other than the brutal pain your body would have to endure at that age. To be that mature mentally, and go play against kids half your age would seem easy, but your knees and joints would state otherwise. With the recruiting of a female soccer player (Kathy Ireland) to kick the field goals, the team is starting to come together. To this day it is so fun to watch and see if Paul can pull off the upset victory of number 1 ranked Texas Colts. If Sam Beckett can't do it, the who can? Emmit Brown, maybe. Football movies always seem like they would be tough to act in and direct all the action that goes on, but this film felt like a real football game was going on. I do like the memories I have with this film as I did see it in the theater when I was young, but it holds up even today. To this day I hope some poor college sees me playing around with my buddies and asks if I could play with them. I still have 4 years of eligibility, so why not. It would be an adventure, and you just never know......

NBM rates Necessary Roughness - Great

Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment