The Facebook

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Last Starfighter

When my neighbor, who is also my best friend, who is also old as dirt (he is 35) asked me if I wanted to watch The Last Starfighter, of course I said yes. This is the sole reason I am better than every other critic on Earth. I am able to watch a movie from 1984, and appreciate it for all it is. I did not grow up with this movie. Tonight is the first time I ever saw it. I am completely able to send my brain back to when I was 8 years old, and absolutely love this film. I do not make fun of the poor CG, or anything like that. I dug it completely. Tron came out and created the computer generated film in 1982, and not many other films tries to follow that lead. The Last Starfighter does enter the realm of computer graphics and does it rather well. It follows Alex, a trailer park raised young man who feels he is destined for better things. He does spend much of his time playing the video game "Starfighter". A video game to him and every other Earthling, he has no idea it is actually a real time simulator placed on Earth to train would be starfighters. The game serves as a recruitment tool for the aliens facing invasion. A fleet of starfighters have been set to fight back against evil. Alex wants no part of this, so he hitches the first ride back to the trailer park. Once back on his home planet, the rest of the starfighter fleet are destroyed by the enemy, plus one saboteur, who is on board with them. Alex knows what he must do. Being The Last Starfighter, he rises to the challenge. He leaves his family and his girl in order to save several other worlds in the universe. The video game has taught him well, and he uses his talents to the fullest. With great comedy intertwined into the sci fantasy story, it turns into an awesome story, that in my opinion, should have been sequelled. I mean, Evil Emperor Xur, (Similar to the Evil Emperor Zurg from Toy Story. Coincidence? I think not), was never killed. He was not even captured. Alex accepted the job of Starfighter trainer, he came back to Earth to get his girl and save the galaxy, but no sequel. Baffling. (On a side note, The Last Starfighter, 1984, still looks better than Transmorphers, 2007.) If I had seen this when I was 8, I would have rated it Awesome. Now, at 28,

NBM rates The Last Starfighter - Awesome....... I Rule!!!

Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment