The Facebook

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

MacGruber

MacGruber didn't disappoint, but at the same time time, didn't enhance my very being either. It was exactly what it was suppose to be. MacGruber (SNL's Will Forte) must stop the diabolical Dieter Von Cunth (Val Kilmer). The laughs were present, but they were individual moments in the film. The film as a whole was good, but I'm still not sure what critics and people alike expected when it was released. Sure, the trailer was full of laughs, but there were many other funny parts that helped carry the movie. Did people really expect a blockbuster, serious Seagal-ish film? I didn't. I don't watch SNL often, but every time I do, there is a MacGruber skit. The MacGruber skit, for those unfamiliar with it, it always the same. He and two others have thirty seconds to disarm the bomb, but MacGruber always gets distracted and never really succeeds. I actually really enjoy the skit. What I really thought of during the movie was how the Writers took a 30 second skit, based on another fictional character, and turned it into a funny film. Of all the SNL movies, this one had the least to work with, but they ended up making a movie that is not horrible. Wayne's World, Night at the Roxbury, Blues Brothers, Ladies Man were all based on skits that had substance. MacGruber was able to stretch their sketch into 90 minutes with funny one liners, and lots of cursing. I do think the R rating was necessary. Without all the F-Bombs it may not have been as funny. I may never watch MacGruber again, but am glad I at least saw it once, to be able to say I like it.


NBM rates MacGruber - Good (1st time I have used the new rating of Good)


Buy Your Copy Today

 

No comments:

Post a Comment