The Facebook

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides

I don't know why it took me so long to see this. It was kind of a mental enigma in which my brain told me one thing, but did not take its own advice. I was excited to see a 4th film in a franchise that has faltered in recent films. Mostly because it was a new story. The writers had wrapped up the trilogy involving Jack Sparrow, Borbosa, Will Turner, and Elizabeth Swann and their twisted story. This film was going to be a completely unrelated tale continuing Jack Sparrow's travels and that prospect sounded fun. All the while, I feared it would be as mind numbingly awful as the critics said it would be and I will say it took a while to develop into, well, anything. The first 25 minutes is drivel. Nothing happens except the standard "Jack Sparrow escaping dire situations using brain powers and logic his character's speech and mannerisms would never suggest he possesses, while blaring the POTC score we have all come to love." Literally, we were like, what is the point? Luckily Depp delivers once again and makes it all tolerable while the waiting game continues for us, the audience. Once it does pick up, I still don't feel it was as strong as any of its predecessors. It just seemed thrown together. It did still have the wonderful fight scenes and choreography we have come to expect from the franchise, but the jokes were fewer. Depp delivers the majority of the moments that get us to exclaim a verbal HAHA, but that only happens 3 to 4 times. Keith Richards shows back up which I didn't expect, but essential with the addition of a few new characters it really is just another Pirates film, left open ended for a 5th installment. Black Beard (Ian McShane) and Angelica (Penelope Cruz) join Sparrow on the search for the fountain of youth. With a few new surprises along the way (Mermaids were cool) the film definitely wraps up better than it began and when it was over it was erased from my DVR never to be watched again. What On Stranger Tides lacked, compared to the previous films, are those moments great films have that we can watch over and over and over again. I have seen the other 3 films numerous times, but I don't think I'll watch this one again. It doesn't have that hook to get me to stop channel surfing to watch it for 20 or 30 minutes. That is what disappointed me the most, but overall it is very enjoyable and only because Depp is perfect at that character. Also I would have LOVED to see a cameo from Orlando Bloom as Will Turner as he is now Captain of Davy Jones' ship after the 3rd film. That would have been a welcomed call back for me.


NBM rates Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides - Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment