The Facebook

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

National Treasure vs. Sahara

 
  VS.   







We're gonna do it a
little different tonight. Most days I review one movie, pretty straight forward. This is our first comparison duel between two films released only 5 months apart with similar plots. Some people say these two films cannot be compared, to which I respond, "They are both treasure movies. Am I wrong?" In our first battle, based purely on the looks of our heroes, Dirk (McConaughey from Sahara) wins hands down on our "Pretty Scale". I mean Nic Cage is awesome and all, but those muscles and those long beautiful locks Dirk sports are crazy good, especially for the ladies.  2nd battle is which film had the better sidekick? Riley Poole (Justin Bartha) of NT vs. Al Giordino (Steve Zahn) of Sahara. Riley is way more sarcastic than Al, but Al adds more to his movie I feel. 2-0 Sahara. 3rd test - Villain. Sean Bean of NT plays villains in almost every movie he is in and he so good at evil doings, he can't be beat. 4th is based on The Hot woman of each film. Penelope Cruz or Diane Kruger. This is purely based on looks alone, not acting. I tend to be more for the light skin blondies, rather than the Dark skin, hair combo. Looks like we are all knotted up at 2 a piece. Last thing is the most important thing, the plot high points. Dirk and Al are BFF's from way back and they hunt down lost treasures at sea with their Commander in charge, William H. Macy. Macy add so much to this film, including his boat, which was used by Dirk and Al to "pull a Panama". Funniest scene in the entire film. Ben Gates (Cage of NT) is more historian than treasure hunter. When Ben is commissioned by Bean to find the lost treasure of our American forefathers, he does his job perfectly. Unfortunately one treasure leads to another, but they are just clues to get to the big one. The one that is not suppose to exist. When Ben realizes to final clue is on the back of The Declaration of Independence, he knows he must stop his pursuit. Bean, on the other hand, decides to move forward and steal this historical document. Ben knows he must steal it first, in order to keep it safe. Ben knows he could face the rest of his life in prison for this, but that's better than the alternative. I love the scene where Ben has the document, which is behind bullet proof glass (makes sense), and Bean's goons start shooting at him down the hall. He uses the document as a shield. It is intense and perfect. While Sahara faces global problems in Africa, National Treasure uses American History fact and adds their own bit of fiction to make it quite entertaining. Harvey Keitel joins the NT film as an FBI agent hot on Ben's trail. It's smart, witty, and extremely entertaining, especially when Ben steals his Dad's (Jon Voight) car, and tie him to a chair. Sahara is more action than brains, but still a really fun film to watch. Plot goes to National Treasure, therefore crowning it victorious in our first ever battle de film.

I would really like your opinion on which one you like better. Post a comment at the bottom of the post or post it on our Facebook fan page located here. I will tally all 12 votes I'm sure I will get and post the results next week some time.


NBM rates National Treasure - Phenomenal

NBM rates Sahara - Awesome


Buy Your Copy Today






























                 

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen Sahara. I, too, tend to favor light skinned blondes (evidence: my wife). But you couldn't be more wrong about ANYBODY being hotter than Penelope Cruz. Assuming you were correct on the rest of your assessments, that would make Sahara the winner. I'd suggest you change your vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower! Will you follow me?
    http://songberries.blogspot.com/2010/09/wobble-over-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with your choice for winner. I understand your reasoning, but I prefered Sahara. It may be because I read the book, or it may be the soundtrack. When Magic Carpet Ride comes on during the sand surfing on Amelia Earharts plane (a little out there but right with the book) I smile. I like National Treasure a lot, but for me Sahara wins. By the way, I could tell your vote before you announced based on the amount of space you gave NT above Sahara in the review. Aaron

    ReplyDelete