The Facebook

Monday, October 4, 2010

X - Men Origins : Wolverine

Ever since the first X Men movie hit the market in 2000 I have been hooked. With newcomer Hugh Jackman taking the role of Logan/Wolverine, there were many skeptics, including myself. Casting an unknown in such a high caliber role  in a film that ultimately raised or invented the bar for comic book films, was beyond me. However, he is the only person who could ever play that role from now on. It was a no brainer that the first spin off film would follow Wolverine. He is the coolest mutant ever, barely edging out the Toxic Avenger. I had wait very patiently for the Wolverine Origin story. 10 years after Hugh became Logan he would finally carry his own movie. I feel he carried it well. This script was really good as well. RT disagrees with me ranking the first X - Men Origin film at a lowly 37%. I liked almost everything about it. The opening credits watching Logan, and brother Victor progress throughout the time line, one war at a time was an awesome piece of writing/directing. It not only showed how invincible they are, but also how old they are. It was neat to see Logan before the admantium claws, when they were nothing more than bone.With nearly all originality in Hollywood gone, writers are turning to "origin" stories. For the most part these re-telling of older movies/characters are usually fun to watch. It gives us a different perspective, and Wolverine delivers with a bang. It's very cool to see the tormented Logan struggle with his ability and what to do with his life. I don't understand why he is originally called James or Jimmy, then all of the sudden it's Logan. First name, last name maybe? I'm not sure. The one aspect I still do not grasp is how bad some of the CG looked. Movies that came out ten years earlier (X-2 comes to mind) were vastly superior in the digital aspects. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I was confused. Great action sequences make this origin story unmissable. When Logan is injected with the indestructible metal, only to wake up and kill everyone, well, it is an awesome scene. Shot in slo-mo, bursting out of the water, veins bursting. It's so cool. And Finally, after 8 years of geekers wanting Gambit to show up, he finally does, and he is very cool. I like this film, and you will too if you like the other three X-Men films. One last FYI, At the end of the credits in the theater there is a scene involving the recently deceased Deadpool character, but on the HBO version it's actually Logan alone in a bar in Japan. The next movie will take place in Japan where Logan learns the martial arts, so it was a cool alternate ending. Why it was saved for HBO, I'll never know, but it is cool. I am looking forward to the sequel as well as the other two film on the agenda, First Class and Magneto. They should be good.



NBM rates X-Men Origins : Wolverine - Awesome

Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment