The Facebook

Monday, October 18, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon

I was looking forward to seeing this cartoon after all A-Bomb talked about it. At the same time, I was skeptical and was hoping he had not built it up to much to meet my expectations. Being a cartoon aficionado, I own so many full length animated features from the original 1960's Robin Hood to The Nightmare Before Christmas, and everything Pixar. Toy Story, to me, is absolutely the greatest cartoon of all time. It will never be matched, but I look forward to the days in the future of animation that Toy Story has made possible. This film follows a young boy, Hiccup, who wants to be an engineer/Inventor. He is very good with his hands, and unlike his Father, lead Viking/Dragon Slayer, Hiccup wants nothing to do with the termination of Dragons. One day while wandering in the woods, he comes across a dragon unable to fly. He flops around trying to take off, and after some research, Hiccup realizes why. His tail is deformed. Basically he is missing half of his rutter, which helps like a guidance system. Hiccup designs an attachment to help his new friend fly. He really had to earn his trust by doing unspeakable things in order to ride the dragon he named Toothless. This really confirms to him his inability to kill a dragon. Unfortunately, his Father enters him into the Dragon Slaying Educational program. Eventually he becomes the best in class due to his ability to understand these animals, instead of just fearing them. It is a great story, and a great moral. I already want to see it again. A-Bomb also stated it was the first Blu Ray he has purchased that was actually worth the extra money. I must admit, when the characters themselves aren't on screen, it looks like something off the Discovery channel. The water and clouds and cliffs look so real. When it was over, I was asked how I liked it. I said if you count the Toy Story trilogy as one movie instead of Three, then Dragon would crack my top 5 favorite cartoons of all time. If not I'd say it easily makes the top 10.

NBM rates How To Train Your Dragon - A Work of Cinematic Art

Buy Your Copy Today

 

No comments:

Post a Comment