The Facebook

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ninja Assassin

"I would rather have a vasectomy than go to the theater to watch Ninja Assassin" - The Jester.  My  Response When asked by A-Bomb to join him in watching this film. I would like to also note that I have recently seen it and had no idea I would enjoy it so much. This is exactly the reason why I am out of commission and A-Bomb has guest posted for me this week.


Folks, last of my two part guest reviews for the Jester.  For your reading pleasure, I am offering this review of the movie  Ninja Assassin.   In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I am a huge fan of ninja movies and I was giddy with anticipation for this movie to hit the theaters.  I am a product of the late 80's Ninja fest movies like Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja Pray for Death, hell even the Master (Ninja) TV show with Lee Van Cleef.  What do all of these movies have in common?  Well beside the black pajama clad, sword wielding, wall scaling ninjas.....Sho Kosugi.  Sho made a name for himself in Japan and the US for his ninja characters.  Guess who the main bad guy is in Ninja Assassin?  If you didn't guess Sho Kosugi after that leading question, then I have to doubt your reasoning and cognitive ability.  Sho does a fantastic job!  Actually for me he steals the show.  My sister-in-law doesn't agree.  She walked away impressed with Korean Pop star Rain who plays the main protagonist, Raizo.  I have to admit, he did a great job for a newcomer to acting.  Even more impressive are the Blu-Ray extras showing Rain's commitment to this movie.  Months of long days training in martial arts and fitness to make it as realistic as possible.  Again.  Impressive.  The movie follows orphan Raizo, who becomes a ninja, flees the clan, and actively tries to destroy it with the help of a couple of Interpol agents.  Due to the predictable plot, and CG blood (a little too CG and not enough realism...except for the badass ninja star scenes) the movie probably would have only gotten an "Awesome" from me.  But you have to take into account three things.  First, if you have ever seen an old Ninja movie, "predictable plot" is a pretty good description.  You have to give it to the writers for staying true to the genre.  Second, you have to appreciate the over the top action.  In a word.  Fantastic.  Third, do I have to say it?  Sho Kosugi.  In and of itself that makes this movie. A-Bomb out for now.

A-Bomb for NBM rates Ninja Assassin - Phenomenal. 

Buy Your Copy Today
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment