The Facebook

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

RED

Talk about a great movie, with a great cast, that was greatly misrepresented in the marketing campaign. Having not read the DC Comics graphic Novel version of RED, I took what they gave me and anticipated a full on action comedy. Comedy being the key word. Not really a comedy. Oh, it's hilarious, but the underlying plot of taking out former CIA operatives is really more up front with some jokes thrown in. Was not what I was expecting, but I actually enjoyed it even more than I would have, if it was straight joke after joke. RED stands for Retired Extremely Dangerous. Frank Moses (Willis) is on this list, and someone, who will remain unnamed, has decided he can no longer live, because he knows too much. Frank knows he is being targeted, but does not know why. He also knows the one and only person in his life, a drone cubicle pension services worker Frank calls for assistance with his pension check played by the completely un-aged Mary Louise Parker could also be in trouble. Even though they have never met in person, she is important to him, and the killers will know that. He must keep her safe and hook up with his old wrecking crew, to not only stay alive, but find out who is behind the contract and stop 'em. Recruiting old buddies played by Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, and what I can only guess is an exact duplicate of how John Malcovich really is in real life. Psychotic and eccentric. Malcovich makes this movie. I'm not saying it's not great without him, but his deliveries and wandering stares along with the paranoia is absolutely gut busting. "I'm gonna go get my pig." Watch it and that last line will make sense. You will laugh. Great stunts. In fact, probably one of the coolest I have seen. It involves "B.A." Willis stepping out of a spinning car in full motion, while shooting his firearm. It's awesome and I will own this movie the day it comes out. It's action packed, with great acting, awesome stunts, and Brian Cox shows up as a Russian "KG use to B." Adapted perfectly. It definitely has the comic book feel, but not in a cheesy way.

NBM rates RED - Phenomenal

Buy Your Copy Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment