The Facebook

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8


I knew within the first 10 minutes we were in for something special. This was the perfect weekend to release this film as it is a bit of an homage to the Executive Producer Steven Spielberg. You see, today, June 12, marks the 30 anniversary of the theatrical release of Indiana Jones Raider of the Lost Ark. In my opinion it is the best movie of all time, but you will not be able to read what I have to say on that film until July 26. JJ Abrams and Spielberg make up a "Dream Team" of sorts, and man was it fun. I have been excited about this project for over a year now and it does not disappoint. It follows a group of young boys as they film a movie. They have the script, re-writes, actors, make-up...everything you need to make a movie. The story is really about Joe Lamb, the son of the local Sheriff's Deputy. His mother has just died and he and his Father must now go on alone. He doesn't know his son, and he doesn't really try. He thinks the movie thing needs to go for a better hobby. He is not gonna stop though. They have a scene they plan on filming at midnight at a train station. When a train travels by and is hit head on by a truck, it derails, which delivers one of the most intense action scenes in recent memory. The kids are running about trying to escape the wreckage. Then it happens. Something happens, but no one knows exactly what. This is when the military come in to clean up the mess. Everything is a big secret, and Deputy Lamb is sick of being left in the dark. All this government presence is gold for the kids film. They go to locations to shoot with good background scenery, but once they get back the developed footage from the train wreck, they realize it is much bigger than they first thought. From here we are intrigued. Abrams does a fantastic job of showing us just enough to get us to focus hard on nothing. Camera angles, night scenes and shadows, and the ominous growling that sounds like it could be the wind or something way worse. The kids keep on task with the film, but strange things begin happening and they haven't told anyone what they saw. It just sucks you in and doesn't let go until the end. It is so much fun to watch, and the last time I was this enthralled was Transformers 2007. I heard before going that it was like 1/3 Goonies, 1/3 Close Encounters, and 1/3 ET. That was info I really enjoyed hearing, especially since that gave me 24 hours to mull over. I do want to add to the fractions. Add 1/3 Stand By Me, and 1/3 Tremors. That's 5/3rds of total awesomeness. The last 30 minutes are full of fast paced insanity. Abrams is a brilliant director that makes the audience use what has been dubbed "unnecessary" as of late. Your Imagination. By the time of the "Big Reveal" I had an image in my head that wasn't all that similar to the actual beast. He also find the perfect happy medium for screen time for the "thing". Some films wait entirely too long to show us what we need, and they can't even back it up with a decent story. This story and these kids are movie enough, then he adds the aspect that drew us to the theater. I also love the fact that all the trailers shown to us about the train wreck ended up being "trailer only footage". The scene was the same, but from an entirely different perspective and I dug that. Unlike Cloverfield, where we never see "it" until it's over, Super 8 ratios everything to perfection. Super 8 made me want to make a movie, but more than that, it made me want to be a kid again. Setting it in the '70's was brilliant, and the sets and cars, and clothes were perfect. This is 4 stories strewn together. Joe's loss, the kids friendship, the government cover up, and of course the "thing". This is really difficult for me to write spoiler free, but I do believe this movie stands on its own, but if you love vintage Spielberg, DO NOT miss out on the nostalgia trip that will leave you wanting to watch all those movies of old. I will be enjoying Raiders tonight as should everyone. I am also having a tough time rating this. I go into movies these days with the mentality that it is near impossible for anything new to receive my highest rating, but this one is teetering for me. Time will absolutely help it graduate to my highest rating eventually. I have no doubt about that. Hmmm? After consulting with my viewing buddy, A-Bomb, there is only one rating it should get.


NBM rates Super 8 - A Work of Cinematic Art 

No comments:

Post a Comment