The Facebook

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Stranger Than Fiction

Let me start by saying, I feel this is Will Ferrell's best movie. I am a huge Will Ferrell fan, and I realize, people either love him or hate him. There is no in between. I enjoy his stupid , vulgar style of comedy, yet my brother can't stand the very sight of him. Most of his movies are fueled by 3rd grade humor, featuring dick jokes and licking white dog s***.  Him and Adam Mckay really take that immaturity to a whole new level with their writing, but it puts butts in the seats and that is what they care about. The reason I stated that this is his best movie is because it added something new to his repertoire, acting! It really showed he has much more to offer than the person we have all seen every film over since his turn as "Frank The Tank" in Old School. After months/years of trying to talk my brother into watching a movie featuring an actor he literally hates, he gave in. Guess what? He loved it, and now, because of one performance, his entire view of Ferrell is forever changed, for the better. That being said, lets talk about this movie that most people haven't seen or even heard of. Ferrell plays Harold Crick, IRS agent extraordinaire, who begins to hear a voice narrating his every move. Not every move as he does it, but before he does it. He is a bit of an obsessive compulsive when it comes to the order of his life. He is the only one who hears this voice and he looks a bit crazy, as he tries to talk back to it in very public places. If that isn't bad enough, his next audit is a woman who is an absolute ball buster played by Maggie Gyllenhaal. She is so anti-gov't, she is nothing but a royal pain in his butt. Crick, however, is the most polite, endearing man anyone would want, if the circumstances were different. Then the day comes when the voice speaks of is imminent death. That's when it turns from interesting to pure genius. What would you do if you knew were going to die very soon? Hopefully, you would do what Harold does, and start living life to the fullest. He does his job better, he picks up a guitar and learned to play, and he begins a relationship with Miss Pascall (Gyllenhaal). Crick figures the "voice" knows so much about him, it must be correct with its proclamation of his earthly departure. At this point, Crick enlists the help of a local University Professor, played by the always brilliant Dustin Hoffman. Hesitant at first, Hoffman says there is nothing he can do, until Crick said the "voice" said the phrase "little did he know". That entire scene about the choices we make and change based on a little bit of information hit the nail on the head. We get to see Crick hit rock bottom and climb his way out of his own personal hell, and Ferrell plays it geniusly. I was surprised the first time I saw this film that I hadn't met anyone who had seen it. With this cast, and this awesomely smart and witty plot, word of mouth should have skyrocketed it in cult status, but it is still being overlooked, sitting on the video shelves for $5. I paid twice that for my copy after I had seen it half a dozen times. The opening scene will have you enthralled, guaranteed. Plus as an added bonus, "The Sonic Guys" are also IRS agents we get to see a few times throughout. It's funny, they even get cast in films as a pair. So, If you love Will Ferrell, go buy this film, and if you hate, and despise Will Ferrell, go watch this film. Watch it openly and honestly and I promise you won't be disappointed. I'm going to keep on spreading the word, as you will too I am sure. I don't know whether to categorize this a Comedy or Drama, because I think it teeters that line. Maybe we will call Dark Comedy.

NBM rates Stranger Than Fiction as A Cinematic Work of Art


Please buy a copy today. .45 cents? are you kidding me? Buy it Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment