The Facebook

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Darjeeling Limited

I want to begin this post by saying how much I appreciate the writers of this film. How they nailed the accuracy of the relationship between three brothers is a mirror image of the relationship I once had with my two brothers. With that mentioned, the Owen Wilson character, Francis, is an egotistical, self centered, nothing matters unless it's his idea, do no wrong attitude oldest brother. Peter, the middle brother (Adrien Brody), plays that role perfectly. I don't know if it's how it was written or if he has brothers of his own to base it on. He is sort of a tortured soul that doesn't want to rock the boat, but there is a line not to be crossed with him. When that line is breached, his emotions come out and it seems like they have possibly been pent up for years. I know how he feels. And then there's Jack (The genius Jason Schwartzman). "The Lone Wolf". Jack lives by his own rules. He seems to want to be involved with Francis' plans of brotherly reunion, but at the same time he has looked ahead of the possible shit storm this trip could bring and he has an exit strategy ready for himself if need be. The reunion is Francis' idea to reunite him with his two brothers after not seeing them for 1 year, which followed to funeral of their fathers unexpected passing. What ensues is a re-birth of sorts, not only as brothers, but individually as people. Each character is lost in his own way, and Francis plans on helping them figure out what needs to change, whether they want him to or not. Francis' oldest brother, alpha male mentality is what nobody wants, but ends up being exactly what they all need. It is one powerfully sad, yet invigorating film made by the always genius Wes Anderson. The first time I watched it, I was kind of lost in the characters, not the storyline. It was so relatable to myself. Jack is my younger brother, so independent in himself , and rules don't apply, and Francis is my older brother, always trying to fix every situation, whether he's asked to or not, and I'm Peter, the quiet one not wanting to rock the boat, but if the situation calls for, can hold his own. I believe I went on a streak of watching this film which had to span at least 8 consecutive days, maybe more.
My Rating for The Darjeeling Limited  - Phenomenal




Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment