The Facebook

Friday, August 20, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lighting Thief. Long name, amazing results.
This movie blew me away, especially considering I had absolutely no ambition to ever watch it. I remember making fun of the movie after seeing the trailer for the first time during the opening of Avatar. It looked like a ridicious attempt to grasp both children and adults. Funny thing is, it worked! A-Bomb asked if I wanted to watch it and since I will watch anything that I don't have to pay for, we sat down and absolutely were engulfed within the first twenty minutes. I actually wanted to own it that soon into it. Percy finds out early on in the film that he is a Demi-god. (Half god, half human). He is the son of Poseidon (god of the sea's). This is why Percy has certain powers over water, which comes in handy later on. Having watched Clash of the Titans last night, I must say Percy was much more entertaining, and it flowed better. The young kids in Percy are on a mission to find Zeus' lightning bolt, which was stolen. Percy is being accused of the theft and must prove he didn't do it, before Zeus rains down on everyone. This film really took me back to 8th grade mythology and I was constantly remembering the characters and how much I had enjoyed it. The acting was great, with mature actors such as Pierce Brosnan, and Joey "Pants", along with Katherine Keener as Percy's mom. What I could not get past , was how flipping good the CG was. It was flawless. Medusa's head of snakes, to the giant Minotaur, and the outstanding scene, shot in Nashville, featuring the Hydra. It was intense. If you are not sure what some of these creatures are, go and watch the movie. Sean Bean as Zeus was funny to me, since he usually plays the bad guy in most films, whereas the dude who played Poseidon (Greys Anatomy's sexy Irish redhead doctor) had the most compassion for the humans, especially his son. Then we meet Hades, ruler of the underworld, played by Steve Coogan? Don't get me wrong, I love Coogan (Hamlet 2) I just don't know how he landed that part, but he did it well. Steve is sort of known for his British, off the cuff, mostly vulgar style of humor. I never pictured him as such a powerful character as Hades is, but he pulled it off. There are too many characters to mention, but watch it and enjoy it for what it is. A great film. A Bomb watched it again the very next day, and I would have , but I was busy. I will own this film, and I will show it to my kids. I don't know how much it intrigues the ladies out there, but for men, it's an absolute blast.
The AP liked it, but my wife said "Ugh, that sounds stupid!"
To which I replied, "I know you are, but what am I?"

NBM rates Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Phenomenal


Buy your copy today
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment