The Facebook

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Omega Man

Based on the Novel by Richard Matheson, this is the second of three films based on the book. The first starred Vincent Price from 1964 and was called "The Last Man on Earth",  and the last was "I Am Legend" with Will Smith back in 2007. The Omega Man starred Charlton Heston as Dr. Robert Neville. It was released in 1971 and didn't fare as well as the other two. I wasn't aware of this movie when I first saw I Am Legend. After having seen and enjoyed I Am Legend, I wanted to watch The Omega Man. A few days ago I did watch it and its funny to me to see a movie that is basically the same script as I Am Legend, but at the same time, completely different. The similarities I Am Legend took straight out of the Omega Man were funny for me to see in reverse order. Charlton Heston basically drives around all day in any car he wants to, gathering food and supplies for his survival. The Night Walkers know of his existence and want to kill him or at the very least, turn him into one of them. Neville's main agenda is to find a cure, since he is immune, to save all humanity. The biggest difference between the two is the mental state of the night walkers. In The Omega Man, they are reasoning, mentally stable people, who believe God is punishing them for their violent ways as humans. They also believe Neville is the Devil of sorts, since he is not one of them. They believe it must be his fault they have become light sensitive. It's a classic 1970's campfest film. It's full of action and not short on laughs. It's also a catch 22 for the lead character. He does nothing all day and night that doesn't relate to him finding a "cure" for people that absolutely don't want to be "cured". Good acting, jokes, action, and campiness. I enjoyed it more than I expected I would and it's easy for me to give The Omega Man an NBM rating of Great.
Buy your copy today

No comments:

Post a Comment