The Facebook

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


This being only 1 of 2 musicals I have ever watched, I was skeptical. The reason I watched it is Tim Burton + Johnny Depp. Those two together could play with doggie poo for 90 minutes on screen and I would watch it. Being a Depp fan I did a lot of reading about this film the months before it was released. Things like the audition of Depp having to sing, which he never had any formal training and how it was the most terrifying thing he had ever done. Things like that interest me, so naturally I was interested to see how he did. Knowing that he had not been dubbed I was amazed at the voice and talent he possesses. I know he is a musician and all that, but not even all musicians can sing, (I give nickleback as an example.) So as a musical I wasn't sure how much of the lines were gonna be in song format. Apparently all of it. I wasn't sure if I could handle following the plot in that format, but much like a subtitled film, after a while you just stop thinking about, and if it's done well it will flow right through your brain. Tim Burton does such an amazing job creating his worlds. Shot in color, but not, there is only about 5-8 minutes in bright color. It's not an actual B&W film, it is done in such a dark grey scale it is so dreary, yet perfect. The blood is very prominent, but also very digital so it's not as intrusive as a squib. It helps that the story is good as well. Benjamin Barker is the local barber who's wife is the object of The Judge's (Alan Rickman) affection. Benjamin is exiled for 15 years only to return with a new look and new name. Enter Sweeney Todd. His one objective is to get revenge on anyone involved with the ruining of his life and the suicide of his wife Lucy. His new shop is located above a meat pie bakey run by the widow Mrs. Lovett (Bonham Carter). She informs him of everything that has happened during his absence. She also helps him dispose of the bodies that begin to pile up. Sweeney eventually begins to enjoy hurting people, which displeases Mrs. Lovett. Either way the plot is great, acting is phenomenal, and the singing becomes rather catchy. I've seen it 3 times or so, and will watch bits and pieces whenever it's on.
**I'm gonna post a completely unrelated video below that is the origin of the picture on the Home Page of this blog. Enjoy.


 NBM rates Sweeney Todd - Phenomenal

Buy your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment