The Facebook

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

About a Boy

I'm about to go in a direction none of you will understand. Not my best friend, not even my wife understands my strange connection to this film. Let me start by saying I will sit and watch anything with Hugh Grant. He doesn't do bad work. Nine Months, Love actually, and Two Weeks Notice are just some of his brilliant comedies. About a Boy however is more drama than comedy. It follows a young boy with his single Mom growing up in the UK. Hugh Grant on the other hand is a song writer. He wrote one song that went huge way back when and just does nothing all day. He continues to cash the royalty checks, which provide a comfortable living, and he is too afraid to write anything else. The Sophomore curse as I call. Anyone who has a very successful "1st" in any business is automatically set up for failure. He does not want that failure. One normal day sitting in his flat (that's what they called apartments over there) not doing anything this young boy comes beating on his door. The boy is trying to escape the local bullies and even though he does not know the boy, he lets him come in for refuge. They have some discussions, hang out for a while, then he leaves. No biggie, right? Well, not exactly. The boy shows up the next day at his door just to hang out and talk. Hugh knows this can't be right, but he also sees an opportunity for his playboy ways. He uses the boy to pose as his son at a single parents meeting, mostly comprised of women. It works at first, but like all things, it blows up. It doesn't take long for Hugh to realize this boy kinda sees him as a father figure. At first he doesn't mind, but eventually it gets old. Then the boys mother starts asking questions, as she had no idea he was at this strange mans house every afternoon. He ends up being friends with her and trying to explain her boys problems. It goes really south when Hugh buys the boy clothes and new sneakers. This pisses his mother off. The whole story boils down to one thing. Hugh must save this boy from ruining his whole life. Not drugs are anything like that. He is gonna sing at the school talent show. That's not that bad. Let me finish. He is singing a tribute to his mother. The song, Killing me softly by the Fugees. Not a good choice of song about one's Mum. He owes this boy for showing him, there's more to life than to be terrified. He has grown quite fond of the boy, but no, it doesn't end like most movies. Hugh does not marry his mother and become his step dad or anything like. I had a great childhood with a very present Father, but I think I relate to Hugh's character. I always want to help people out whether it's the 80 year old woman at the store, or a small child who wants to play. I'm not weird, I'm just a big kid. I did get some strange looks when I coached a tee ball team of twenty 5 year olds without having a kid of my own on the team. I like teaching, and will continue to. I don't know who of you would like this movie. I know I've seen it at least 5 times, and I own it. Like I said, my wife doesn't even get the appeal, but I dig it. I think it's a great story of how a 12 year old can teach a 40 year old about life.

NBM rates About a Boy - Phenomenal

Buy Your Copy Today

 

No comments:

Post a Comment