The Facebook

Monday, December 27, 2010

10 Items or Less


This may be the first film I write about that I think I can guarantee not a single one of my readers has seen. If you have seen it, I commend you. I hope you let me know that you've seen it and you will be rewarded with a congratulatory wink and nod from myself. That said, I love this movie. It is definitely the most "Indie" film I have reviewed. Having only grossed 70k, which is probably more than it cost to make, it comes off as an extremely earnest movie. Morgan Freeman plays an out of work actor. Not the ordinary out of work actor, but at one time he ruled Hollywood. A big time player in the biz, He or Him as he is referred and credited is about to take his first role in 4 years. He is terrified of failing which explains the drought. In order to research the upcoming role, he is dropped off at a Latina supermarket outside of LA. He basically wanders around the store asking questions to various employees. He then come to the lady who runs the 10 Items or Less checkout line. Scarlet hates her job and wants better things. She is a firecracker who doesn't kiss His ass the whole time. She is mouthy, and fresh. He likes that about her. When the day ends he asks for a ride, to which she agrees. He feels he has started a friendship that will last longer than the one day. He also feels he can help Scarlet with what she wants. He helps her prepare for a job interview. He takes her shopping and teaches her how to "act" her way throughout the process. He knows she can get what she wants, she just needs to know that for herself. Along the way, he discovers himself. He comes to a very specific niche and he enjoys it. This brings him to a decision. Keep acting, or retire and do this new path to happiness full time. A short, sweet movie about the kindness of people. I've only seen it one time about 3 years ago, but it made such an impression for being an extremely honest forthright comedy with drama thrown in. If you can find it or come across it on IFC, I urge you to take the opportunity and enjoy every second of this no frills indie film.

NBM rates 10 Items or Less - Awesome

Buy Your Copy Today

No comments:

Post a Comment