The Facebook

Monday, April 25, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Proof that I will watch anything. I was handed a rather large box last Thursday. The contents? Harry Potter 1-7. As a grown man who never saw any of these films, not to mention the tiny desire to do so upon original release, I was given an opportunity and a promise that these are good, Really good films. I trust you Dean-O, I mean, we don't call you D-Know for nothing. After pondering where to begin, I decided to start with #1 on Saturday. Seems like a good jumping off point. Figuring I was in for about a 2 hour long kids movie, I was immediately enthralled with the adult like theme of abandonment and abuse. Then film starts with the dropping of newborn Potter at his Aunt and Uncle's home on plain ole normal Earth. He is treated like the red headed step child his entire life, until he turns 11. This is when he is to be brought home. Home as in where he belongs. Hogwarts school of wizardry. He is welcomes with open arms and his reputation precedes him. He is the powerful baby that stopped a ruthless evil man named Voldermort. He is just excited to be able to start living his own life. Seem strange for a boy of 11 to be that anxious to leave everything he knows, but the way it is depicted, I understood. Once there he is such a natural at the wizard thing he gets a bigger rep than even his name carried before he arrived. He is respected, and he quickly has a confidence unmatched by most. From here it really follows three young wizards. Harry, Hermoine, and Ron. They are on a mission to stop something from being stolen for some reason they don't understand, by someone they think they can't trust. It all turns into a big mess, and sort of a young Sherlock Holmes type of story. They are against the clock, and they know. Each clue gets them closer, but the adults don't listen, or they do, but they want it to be "hush hush". The visuals are good, but seeing it for the first time now, the CG is a little Eh. Not so much that it's distracting, but I am actually kind of geared up for the second film. There really is no telling how long it will take me to watch 17 hours of Potter, but I will endure as I always do. All in all it's a decent beginning to the most successful franchise in cinema history. I have heard it is actually one of the least liked so that gives me a lot of hope and angst to get the others watched soon.

NBM rates Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment