The Facebook

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Big Lebowski

With today's date being 4/20 I felt it necessary to write about America's favorite slacker/pothead. The Dude....Oh, where to begin? Maybe by saying that I feel very firm that this film holds a concreted position in my TOP 10 of all time. I remember the first time I saw this, I thought, "Why did this not get any press?, and why was it only at the local theater for 1 week? This is easily one of the most quotable films to date. I also had a tough time picking a visual that really shows what the Dude is all about. I went with the limo scene, because I am sure this was the first and last time he ever rode in one, and as you can see, his limo etiquette is less than great. Jeffrey Lebowski aka. "The Dude" is roped into a kidnapping ransom mix up all because his rug got peed on, and the fact that his best friend Walter gives him mostly horrible advice, that The Dude follows to the T. It's a big mistake. The other Jeffrey Lebowski, the millionaire, was the actual intended target of the rug pee-ers. The Dude wants his rug replaced, as he should, but The Big Lebowski as he is later referred has none of it. The Dude, beyond all expectations, actually dupes the big Lebowski in a glorious fashion. This connects the two for the remainder of the film. When the Big Lebowski's trophy wife is kidnapped the ransom is for One Meeeelion dollars. The Dude is hired as courier, but Walter has other plans. Things go horribly wrong and the Dude's car gets a bit dinged up. The hand off does not happen and the Dude is feeling the regret because "her life was in his hands". It's a twisted plot that is absolutely brilliant, and it really makes you believe that what we witness during the span of the film is more than the Dude has done in the previous 6 months. He is beat up, gets to be with Maude Lebowski (The Big's daughter), he nails an absolutely pointless 2X4 to his apartment floor, gets his junk attacked by a marmot, his car is stolen, and is friend dies. This all happens in the span of a few days. Like I said, it is the most brilliant comedy, and the fact that it has started it's own fan based and operated Lebowski festival should tell you everything of this phenomenal film. The Coen's can do no wrong, and neither can Jeff Bridges. Thanks to the Dude, I got the most sick I have ever been because me and my Brother decided it was a good night to watch the movie and drink LOADS of White Russians. Bad move. I put this movie in when a need a laugh or to feel better about my life, and for that I thank you. There is entirely to much to talk about with this movie, so I'm gonna end it before I waste entirely too much time and space telling you what you already know. The Dude Abides and so does The Jester. 

**Write your favorite quote in the comment section**


NBM rates The Big Lebowski - A Work of Cinematic Art


Buy It!!!!



1 comment: