The Facebook

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Scream 4


Scream 4 doesn't disappoint. With that said, if you are not a fan of the original 3 or 2 or even 1, you won't appreciate it for what it is. It is not horror at all. It's more like slasher comedy, that doesn't try to be funny. What Scream has always done well is the opening scene to kick off the film. This one disappointed me...wait, no it didn't. I love the new direction it took and though my initial impression was "Eh", my final analysis was glee. A lot of people who knew I was going to see this film at the theater were left aghast. I had to explain why this franchise meant so much to people my age when it came out in 1996. It just puts me back to that time, and the franchise has never apologized or tried to re-invent itself. It is what it is. A film that focuses on a killing spree, which follow rules of movies, and how to survive. It's another guessing game as to who is Ghostface this time around and why? I feel that if this was first film in the franchise and I was watching it at the age I am, I would hate every second of it. Instead, when it was over, my wife and I locked eyes and said, "That's a Scream film." Honestly I was expecting way more blood and guts. The 3rd film came out ten years ago, and Hollywood has gotten much more lax on what is considered "OK" for an R rated movie. I actually think the first film was more gory than this one. This one only has one visual that comes to mind as being grotesque. I like all the call backs to the original, and once again I love the "rules" of survival. I previously talked about my love for movie references inside of movies. This one goes even further. Stab is a franchise (fictional) that spawned from the exploits of Sidney from the first three films. Stab has now had 7 films. What Scream 4 does is reference real films along with this fictional series that was made because of what happened in another fictional series. It's like six degrees, but with film. It awesome. You know the story behind Ghostface and if you expect something more from this installment, don't. Sidney is on her book tour which lands her in Woodsboro, her hometown, on the anniversary of the original killings. Once she arrives the copycat Ghostface has begun another spree. She tries to protect what family she has left, but also wants it to end. I love that I finally got to see Shaun of the Dead on the big screen. At least a couple scenes anyway. A couple of casting gems showed up I didn't know were in the film. Anthony Anderson and Adam Brody are cops - partners, on night watch, and they expound on the rules even more so. They have rules about cops in films. Cops always die, unless your Bruce Willis is stated. LMAO. Their rules are hilarious and well worth the screen time they were given. Is this the film that finally kills Sidney? Will Gale still be a bitch? Will Dewey ever figure it out? Will we get some nudity? (A disappointing NO to the last one) The youngest Culkin brother finally makes it into the family business, and I gotta say, he knocks it out of the park. The cast is strong, the movie feels familiar, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. the only thing I couldn't grasp was Sidney's lack of gun power. This chick has been stalked and almost murdered for 15 years and she doesn't carry? Whaaaaat?

***I'd also like to add that the trailers for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" , and a full trailer for "Super 8" precede this film and that was a great starter for my evening. Both movies look really cool.***

NBM rates Scream 4 - Awesome with flashes of Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment