The Facebook

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Paul

What's not to like? Nick Frost and Simon Pegg together again. With a new movie that they wrote. To say I was excited about seeing this would be an under statement. I was down right giddy. I was not alone. J, A-Bomb, and The Man of Steel also got in on some Paul. We made a nice little Saturday of it, and it paid off. Graeme (Pegg) and Clive (Frost) are sci-fi nerds to say the least. They play native Europeans, coming to America to road trip the most famous sightings sights. So, basically this movie has several things going for it right away. Nick and Simon, Science Fiction plot, loads of foul language that doesn't even make sense, and a slacker alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen). The references to other movies during this one are astounding. One after another, they just keep coming. I am curious of how many references made it under my radar. Either they were so underground, or I was laughing while they said it. Paul is the infamous Alien that crashed in New Mexico 1947. The government has been keeping him in a nice facility where they constantly use his knowledge to learn. Then they feel he has served his purpose, so after being in the USA for 60 years, Paul now needs to get home. He escapes and is being tracked by super cop Agent Zoyle (Bateman) who will not be stopped until Paul is detained. Unfortunately for him, Paul meets Clive and Graeme who help him on his journey. The jokes are what make this movie awesome, but the special effects of Paul are insanely good. You don't even think of him as not real after a short while. The movie is funny, but when Kristen Wiig enters as Ruth it not only goes off the chain, it disintegrates the chain. She is a Jesus Freak, Bible thumper, whatever you call them, you know what I'm saying. She plays it perfectly, and when her beliefs are tested, she turns the movie in a whole new direction. I wanted to stay in my seat for the next showing to be able to catch all the jokes I may have missed. The Comic Con convention scenes are brilliant. Jeffrey Tambor shows up along with another very special surprise. I love that these guys plays the nerds so well. Deep down, aren't we all a lot like them in some ways? I will buy it the day it comes out on DVD, and much like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, it will be watched at least 5 times inside the first week. I do think it was more clever than Hot Fuzz, but Shaun launched an entire new genre of ilm that Paul isn't going to do. I don't feel slacker alien films will be released by the dozens in 2012 or anytime for that matter. It is so special, and I dare ya to try and keep track of all the movie quotes and references they use. It's awesome.

NBM rates Paul - Phenomenal
**I'm sure it will be upgraded after another dozen views.


No comments:

Post a Comment