The Facebook

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Legion

I gotta say I was not expecting what I got with Legion. I can vividly remember reading about it during pre production as it was being hailed as the next big thing. When the first stills were released it shut down the message boards, and I still had no idea what it was even going to be about. Then I began getting tid bits of info and finally the first trailer was released and I remember being like, eh. When it finally did come out, it got ripped to pieces by everyone, so I was all the more weary of wasting my time. Then I started this site and wanted to make a point to watch it to see if it was really as bad as they all said. Back burner was getting full with films I "needed" to watch and then it happened. A-Bomb accidentally started watching it and couldn't stop. He didn't so much Urge me to see it, but more or less nudged me to. I finally had a wife free afternoon the other day and so it began. Within the first 15 minutes I was interested. Then the plot thickened and I was curious as to how it could go on like this for another hour. The writers did a fantastic job of human development and different story lines. Having been raised in a Baptist home, and educated in the finest private schools, I consider myself very well versed with the Christian faith and the Bible itself. The NIV version that is, King James is just confusing. Legion got me more interested by the fact that the Devil was not involved in it at all. God is a lot of things and he can also be very much full of wrath. He destroyed mankind once before with the flood. He rid the Earth of the wicked and started over with Noah and his family. Legion is God's vengeance against the wicked and he sends his Angels to begin the destruction. Michael (Paul Bettany) is a General in God's army, but he does not follow this order. He still has faith in mankind. So many movies follow Faith in a higher power, but to turn it around and show a higher power have faith in us. It's pretty remarkable. He comes to Earth, cuts off his wings, and helps the humans fight the incoming Angel Militia. He ends up in a small town diner protecting an unborn child. If the child can be born, he feels he will have won. The war comes to a head when God's other commanding officer, Gabriel, shows up to get rid of Michael and the child, along with anyone else who gets in the way. Like I said, there are so many movies about the end of the world, but God is rarely the bad guy. I love the direction this film took, and I must say I couldn't have written a better ending. God is Love, Mercy, and Forgiveness above all else. I did not expect such a powerful film, but I appreciated every last second of it. It is rated R for language and some creepy scenes featuring Angels in human form. They are unrestricted by mans laws to say the least.

NBM rates Legion - Phenomenal

Buy It




No comments:

Post a Comment