The Facebook

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Water for Elephants


Where to begin? Hmmm, I was Team Edward, but now I may be team Jacob.....Janikowski that is. So, I know how Star Power works and sometimes it doesn't work as it is supposed to. Robert Pattinson will put butts in the seats. Mostly under age butts, but nonetheless. Here is the timeline of the female agenda with Mr. Pattinson. "Oh, Edward is in a new movie." What is Water for Elephants? I better do some research. Huh, It's actually a book. So, what's the book about? I gotta buy that book. Read, Read, Read...Done. I have to see this film. That is pretty accurate from what I remember, and I have a memory like an Elephant. OOOOH, pretty good tie in. I love movies, and my wife doesn't "Need" to see many movies like I do, but this was one she wasn't going to miss out on. I obliged her not knowing much of the premise except that it revolved around a circus and the the creepiest folk ever...Carnies..Small hands. Basically it starts out how I love movies to begin. It begins with an old man who tells a story of his life. His life which essentially takes place during the year 1931. It is a great era for a film. The Depression is really depressing to watch, but the film does a superb job of making it light to a point. They are able to do this because the circus is no ordinary place. When Jacob (Pattinson) is about to take, and ace, his final exam at Cornell something horrible happens and derails him from his dreams of being a veterinarian he doesn't know what to do. He jumps a train to escape and that happens to be the Benzini circus train. He takes a job shoveling poo, but has nowhere else to go. It doesn't take him long to become the personal Benzini Vet - Which Ringling Bros. does not have. For him this is good, for August (Christolph Waltz) not so much. August runs a tight ship based on fear. If you do not conform to his ways he will "red light" you. Jacob quickly realizes this, but has a reason to stay. August's wife, Marlena (Witherspoon). She sees something in Jacob that she has never seen in her husband. Compassion. They grow a platonic relationship during their travels, but it could quickly become more, and with August's temperament that would not be good. When Benzini circus is close to failure they acquire the biggest attraction in the country. An elephant named Rosie. Rosie does several things. She shows what August is really capable of, shows Marlena what Jacob is all about., and shows Jacob he can do anything. It's a great story with a very traumatic ending. The last 20 minutes I had chills. CHILLS DAMMIT. I also must say that as great as Pattinson is as someone other than a vampire, Waltz once again steals the show. He is brilliant. One last thing, I watched this at The Premier 6 Theatre which made it way better. Why? It is set in 1931 and this theater still uses 35mm film instead of digital. Because of this, we could hear the loud rattle of the projector cycling through 24 frames per second. It was the perfect pairing of film and nostalgia. Sometimes I have a rating in mind when I start writing and it changes as I remember back to what I saw. I am not sure it is Phenomenal, but I was going to rate it Awesome. So...

NBM rates Water for Elephants - Awesonomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment