The Facebook

Friday, May 6, 2011

(500) Days of Summer


I have had this film on my DVR for months and just couldn't find the time to watch it. This is surprising because I love independent film, I love JGL, and I love Zooey. The story intrigued me. It follows Tom (Gordon Levitt) on his quest for love. He meets Summer and feels like she is the one. This is where it goes from ordinary Rom-Com to anything but. Summer doesn't believe in "True Love" or Soul mates. She thinks relationships are BS, but she doesn't mind having friends. The direction will amaze you in every facet. It's a movie that should be easy to follow along, but the way it is cut makes it a little more complex. Not so much story wise, but timeline wise. If you aren't glued to the screen you will not know if the movie is in the present or the past. The story follows Tom and Summer through a period of 500 days. It must shift back and forth 30 times throughout. It starts off with Tom in misery somewhere in the 230 day range then it shifts to day 1. Day 1 is not the beginning of their relationship, but the actual day he sees her for the first time. It actually takes Tom a while to nerve up and actually hang out with her. At which point he finds out from her that relationships are pointless path ways to pain and mess. He thinks she is wrong and intends to prove it. It is chronological to a point. Every flashback is a more recent day than before and every flash forward is a further day into the ultimate 500 days. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. I don't have a whole lot to preach about it. I will say it is heartfelt and acted to perfection, and just another reason why JGL is in my Top 5 favorite actors right now. The jokes are really well done, but the dialogue is brilliant. It is an easy watch that will have you enthralled with the opening narrative, and having you rolling with every team meeting Tom has to attend at his job where he writes greeting cards. Watch this movie. It appealed to me, but more importantly my wife couldn't concentrate on her book, had to put it down, and sat there in peace for the duration. It really does have mass appeal. There is not an individual group that would not appreciate this film for what it delivers.

NBM rates (500) Days of Summer - Phenomenal Bordering on Cinematic Art.

Buy It




No comments:

Post a Comment