The Facebook

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Tourist


I haven't necessarily been putting off watching this film, but I know it did take me a while to get it done. I was actually eager to see it. It had nothing to do with the trailers or press I had seen. It had a lot to do with what the "critics" were saying about it, and how they ripped it to pieces. I tried to recall this week when the last time was that I did not like something Jolie had done. It proved difficult. I actually don't even have an example. Then I did the same test with Depp. Even harder to find one. Both of these superb actors really pick and choose the roles they want to do. They don't need to work and they don't need the money, so the pickiness is why their films are generally between really good and great. I figured "how bad could it be?" Well, I will tell you, IT WAS AWFUL!!!!. Wait, wait, wait, I kid. This is not that type of website. We love films. I actually really enjoyed this film. It draws us in rather quickly, and keeps us guessing the entire time. It starts out in France, but quickly shifts to Venice. The film is very little action, loads of intrigue and drama, with just a perfect splash of that quirky Depp comedy. It starts out with a surveillance team following Elise (Jolie). We don't know why or what they want from her, but that quickly comes to light. Her husband, which no one has ever seen or even knows what he looks like. Apparently he stole from some bad men, but that's only a sub plot. The movie is called the Tourist for a reason. I'm guessing it follows a tourist of some kind. Ding. An American tourist named Frank (Depp). He is involved because Elise is sent word by her husband to pick a random guy out that looks enough like him to throw off the scent. The Man with One Red Shoe anyone? She picks out Frank and starts a charade unbeknownst to him. All of the sudden he is being chased and she is being chased and he is confused to say the least. They want a man named Alexander, not Frank. They do think he is Alexander. It is full of twists and turns and a couple of really good actors show up that I did not expect. Paul Bettany who is going to be in Priest this summer along with Dark City's Rufus Sewell. It did have us guessing what was going to happen and who the actual Alexander was. I like movies that get you guessing, but aren't so complicated you forget what you've been trying to figure out. It was done very well and the ending was pretty good too. 

NBM rates The Tourist - Awesome


No comments:

Post a Comment