The Facebook

Friday, May 20, 2011

Ready to Rumble



With the passing of a legend, I feel I must give him the highest honor possible. A NBM tribute. Randy "Macho Man" Savage has been a staple in the wrestling community since the '80's. That really when it all blew up anyway. He has been in several films including the first Spiderman, but I wanna review a film about the sport itself, that he also cameoed in. I don't think this film has earned the respect it so deserves. If you are not a wresting fan, you may not have seen it. I saw it, as once upon a time a was a fair weather fan of the sport. From 1999-2002 I was into it. Not as much as some people I knew, but still. I am not ashamed that I would watch hours of live performances weekly, or that I spent high dollar to go to Monday Night Raw. It was awesome. As for you "crazies" that would pay the $60 for PPV and fashion a Champion belt out of Cardboard and duct tape (you knoe who you are), I can only say this...I hope someday, I can get behind anything that much. As for this film, it follows two die hard fans trying to help their favorite wrestler. Gordie (David Arquette) and Sean (Scott Caan) live, breathe, and eat wrestling. They are considered losers to everyone who knows them, but they don't care, because they have each other. They work as tag team pooper emptiers. Of course when the event heads near them, they will be there to support Jimmy King (Platt). When all goes wrong Jimmy is banish-ed and these two do not want to go on living. After months of looking for him, they found him. Now it is their personal mission to get him back in shape, back in the ring, and back on top. The dialog in the film is brilliant. I guess I get it, because I was around it for several years. He is a drunk, belligerent, bitter man who is afraid of "The Diamond Cutter" whether he will admit it or not. "Joey Pant's" plays the manager who sets in motion the elimination of Jimmy King's job, and he does not ever want him to come back. The plethora of WCW wrestlers that show up on screen as themselves is priceless. The way we get to see behind the curtain and the way it is all orchestrated is funny. I have liked this stupid movie for years now and I do recommend it only if you have a sense of humor that is so vast you can laugh at any aspect of any random thing. One last thing.... Macho Man, you were taken from us way too early, but since the world is ending tomorrow anyhow, I would love to join you in the big ring in the sky for at least a little while so we can "Snap into a Slim Jim" together.


NBM rates  - Ready to Rumble - Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment