The Facebook

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Varsity Blues



So, I posed the question yesterday, "Movies with awesome soundtracks?". The feedback was astonishing. This film came up because for my era, this was a high school movie that came out when I was in high school.  The music included, but was not limited to Foo Fighters, Collective Soul, Green Day, Van Halen, and Days of the New. That was perfect to me and everyone else at that point in their life. I remember where and who I saw this movie with. Still to this day, I walk in the Premier 6 theater, like I did yesterday, I look in the theater off the corner of the lobby that seems almost out of place, and without fail I am whisked back to the day my life improved. What improved it? 3 words... Whip Cream Bikini. A movie starring a bunch of unknown kids who would become some of Hollywood's big hitters following their turn as High Schoolers. Scott Caan plays Tweeder. A wide receiver womanizer (Hmmm, wonder who he shadowed to figure out how to be a womanizer) who provides most of the memorable lines. Ally Larter (Dairy Bikini girl) would later star in the Final Destination series and on TV's Heroes. Amy Smart showed up big in Road Trip, Crank, and The Butterfly Effect. This was Paul Walker's first opportunity to show to the world that he can't act, but his career has flourished. Then there's James Van Der Beek. The star of the film had already had success with Dawson's Creek, but funny enough his film career essentially began and ended with this film. I actually like Van Der Beek and would like to see more from him. It follows the trials and tribulations of life long friends in a small (fictitious) town in Texas. It more closely follows John Moxon (VDBeek). He is back up to Lance (Walker) who is the star QB for the Coyotes football team. Mox doesn't want to be a ball player, but in this town it's just what you do. The coach is the constant winning Bud Kilmer (Jon Voight). He brings an intensity to the role as only a seasoned actor could. He actually reminds me of a coach I actually had. When Lance goes down with injury, Mox is called up and his life is changed. He didn't want any part of the "scene", when he was in the shadows, but upon becoming the star he relished in it. The parties, the girls, the lack of accountability for his actions. Kilmer has a big problem with his new QB, probably because he likes to think for himself, and he has opinions in his head that Kilmer did not plant there. It's a great combination of high school sports-and politics- the fun and hatred that lies in the middle of it all, and the stress to win. The climax deals with Mox and Coach Kilmer butting heads to say the least. It is very dramatic as all sports movies are. It is funny when it should be, sexy when it should be, and all around a well written movie.  This is just one of those films that will always have a place in my heart that most will not understand unless they were in High School when it was released. Talk to anyone my age and they will say the same.


NBM rates Varsity Blues - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment