The Facebook

Friday, June 3, 2011

X-Men First Class


The movie should have been called something more like, "Magneto and his Pals", because Fassbender steals the show. McAvoy keeps up really well, but other than the superb acting, the script was just really good. I mean, REALLY GOOD. X-Men First Class gets to the root of where it all began. The opening scene with Erik Lenssher is to die for and when you see it you will remember the first time you watched X-Men directed by Bryan Singer back in 2000. The way they decided to start this film off could be the most thought out perfection ever. This is the truest of origins stories. It follows Erik as a boy learning his skill under the duress of Nazi prison camps and the scientist named Klauss (Bacon). Meanwhile, far far away, Charles Xavier is dealing with his own issues of being different. Then we go from 1944 to 1962 and the story begins. Basically the CIA commissions Erik and Charles to find other mutant to help in the stopping of a man named Sebastian Shaw (Bacon's 1962 name). He is pitting superpower USA and superpower USSR against each other in a plot to rid the Earth of every non mutant life form. Humans as they are called. Erik is on his own mission while Charles tries to get him to understand what it all means. I really enjoyed the rage and revenge that Erik delivers throughout the film, while Charles shows he is a young party boy with loads of wisdom. The recruiting scenes are very enjoyable and in these scenes there is a very special cameo by the one...the only...Well, watch and see. It's the first, but not the last very well kept cameo secret in the film. Both were done awesomely and although they total only 5 seconds each, they add so much to already great film. The threat of nuclear war is looming and the X-Men are trying to stop it, but they are also being targeted. There are so many great visuals while the origin part of the story which is mostly about them recruiting and teaching young mutants how to harness their abilities is excellent and not at all boring. I also love the introduction of new characters I don't really know as I am not a hardcore comic book guy. Banshee, Havoc, Angel, and Darwin along with Mystique, and Hank McCoy aka Beast are the newbies in the film. In my opinion this movie is head and shoulders above Thor in every aspect. Although Thor was great, this was brilliant. The nukes on the beach was the cat's pajamas. I am also gonna give you some friendly advice based on the following transcript.....
Dean-O: Be sure to stay till the end of the credits.
Me: For sure.
Me: Hey Dean-O, I stayed and nothing happened.
Dean-O: I know. I just wanted you to endure the same disappointment we did. Oh, and I'm an insufferable DOUCHE BAG that likes to waste everyone's time while I giggle quietly in a corner by myself because I have no real friends, and the friends I did have, I alienated by pulling stupid pranks that held no bearing on the happiness of one's life.
I added the last part, but you get the point. Don't worry, not even Dean-O could ruin this movie for me. Can't wait for the DVD release as I will add it to my ever expanding Marvel movie collection.

NBM rates X-Men First Class - Phenomenal

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for your comment- I write as The Mad Prophet. I wish I had your optimistic approach to so-called bad films, but unfortunately, I saw Transformers 2 and Something Borrowed. :(
    Great review, very nicely done. I didn't love the film quite as much as you, but I am eager to revisit it. Keep reviewin'!

    ReplyDelete