The Facebook

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hot Rod


Oh where to begin? Let me start by saying that I was absolutely positive that this film would lack substance. I figured the 2 and 1/2 minute trailer probably had any and all jokes the movie had to offer. Was I wrong. This has easily turned into one of those films I can watch over and over again. The first time I watched it, it surprised me, but the next 10 times when I knew the jokes and the punchlines I still loved it. It played on one of my 11 HBO's every hour for at least a month, so I got my fill. That was a while ago. The other day I got to thinking about one of the memorable quotes and unable to stream thru netflix, I went out and bought it for $5. Worth every penny. I'm not pegging this as one of the great comedies or anything like that, but enjoyable? Absolutely. Its actually one of the dumbest comedies ever, but it pulls it off. Rod (Samberg) is a stuntman like his Father before him. His #1 priority is doing kick ass stunts. #2 priority is beating up his stepfather Frank (Ian McShane). He must defeat him to earn his manhood and Frank's respect. This is where the movie is best. The relationship between Frank and Rod is classic. The way Frank is unrelenting in his mission to ridicule and put Rod down, both emotionally and physically. Rod has a crew comprised of his possibly semi-retarded half brother Kevin, Rico (McBride), Dave (Hader), and the newest member Denise (Isla Fisher). They help him set up and promote his stunts which are laughable to say the least. His life was crap before, but when Frank needs a new heart, and the fact that if he dies Rod may never become a "Man", well, Rod is at his wits end. Rod comes up with a plan to get Frank a heart. He must raise $5,000 to fund a stunt that could raise the $50,000 they need. "I'm gonna get you better Frank, then I am gonna murder you!" Classic. The film has obvious need for about 20 minutes of filler to be able to eclipse the 90 minute mark. Cool Beans and the Forest Dance do a good job of being stupid, yet enjoyable. Will Rod save Frank? Will he hurt himself? Will AM radio ever be on top again? Watch and see. I will tell you to watch it if for no other reason the final fight between Frank and Rod may be one of the great fights of all time. Maybe even better than anything Tyler Durden showed us.


NBM rates Hot Rod - Awesonomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment