The Facebook

Friday, June 10, 2011

Julie and Julia


I knew I wanted to see this movie since it came out, but to begin it at 11 pm is absurd. Usually, and by Usually I mean Always, I will fall asleep within 20 minutes of starting something like this. Not the case, and having to be up at 6 am the next morning, it was a bad choice. I sacrificed sleep for this film which did 2 things. Made me extremely hungry at midnight, and made me laugh a lot. It is a funny movie. I do not know how Julia Childs really was, but Streep's performance is outstanding. As always Streep can do no wrong and Amy Adams is also quickly getting on that list. She plays Julie Powell. A bored lady who hates her job, and needs an escape. She is notorious for never finishing anything she starts. Although she doesn't cook, she decides to cook every recipe in the Julia Childs cookbook in one years time. She does this because she is an aspiring writer who has nothing to write about. The true story of Julie Powell's rise to fame began in 2002. This is when she starts a blog and "blogs" about every single dish she makes. The story really is about Julie, but half the film is footage of Julia (Streep) and how she came to be a cook. She lives in Paris with her husband played by the wonderfully talented Stanley Tucci. He is a US Government ambassador liaison over there and Julia loves it there, but she is bored. She takes up cooking and obsesses over it to the point of perfection. Her story follows her through 8 years of trying to get her cook book published. Probably around 10 years total we get to know her, and she is a character. Funny, outspoken, and at times, crass. Back to Julie, she starts her task for her, but her fan base is rapidly growing. She has her deadline and sometimes her husband feels the neglect. She went from having no priorities, to being obsessed with cooking, no matter how difficult some of the tasks (boiling live lobsters). She almost has an unhealthy obsession with Julia Childs -whom she never met. She talks about her to the point where every decision she makes is based on, "what would Julia do?" I enjoyed seeing all that wonderful food, but at the same time, I could appreciate what she was doing. She gave herself a year to do something everyone said she couldn't/wouldn't finish, and she proves to herself and her doubters that she is for real. I took on my task to write a movie review everyday for at least 365 days without missing a day. 300+ reviews later and here we are. I also started through the blog world and it has developed from there. I never really had anyone say I couldn't do it, but it was said to me that it would be hard and difficult to do. I am going to finish my task and I am gonna continue to write because it is what I like to do. Thanks to all my readers for making it all worth the effort.

NBM rates Julie and Julia - Awesome


No comments:

Post a Comment