The Facebook

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Valkyrie

Operation : Valkyrie power point presentation.


Operation: Valkyrie. Little know the story of this mission, though once you hear the details, you will instantly know how it went. Tom Cruise plays Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg. He is the key element in this plan to kill the Fuhrer and regain control of their home country of Germany. They need a lot of pieces working together to make an effective plan on seizing control back from the Nazi regime and have their country back. Von Stauffenberg is a German Army officer who nearly lost his life in a brutal attack by the Allies. In this attack he is left with one eye and one useful hand, but his new "War Hero" status helps him form an elite team of veteran officers with the same mentality toward Hitler's Nazis. I have to admit, when I heard Bryan Singer to direct a historical based film about a plot to assassinate Hitler, I was more than intrigued. Then Tom Cruise's name was announced to star and I lost my lust. I was more than a little perturbed with his recent up front attitude about every one else's business. Then I had to watch it anyway. 2 years late, but still. I was also inclined to speculate he was not the best actor for the job due to the fact that in every trailer he spoke perfect English with no accent. This told me he couldn't pull it off. Once I watched it, my mind was forever changed. His entire opening monologue was spoken by him in perfect German, and I know it was him, because of that nasally voice he has when he is breathing out and talking simultaneously. It was the perfect way to open this film, putting me and all other doubters in the timeout chair, so to speak. From here the movie never stops. From the opening attack to the secret meetings to plot, to the first attempt. It is a brilliant film, and because it is a true story, it made me wonder what would have happened had Hitler's life been taken by his own people, rather than his own hand? This movie just a great job of keeping the audience on it's toes, and due to the fact that what these courageous men are attempting is the highest of treason, punishable by an instant death, it is all the more intense and gripping. Bryan Singer is a genius and a master of his craft, and though I wrote Tom Cruise off for the last several years, I do believe I may see his work on the big screen once again with the release of Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol. If you haven't seen the last 2 movies I reviewed, you need to, if for no other reason, to behold the brilliance of Bryan Singer.


NBM rates Valkyrie - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment