The Facebook

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil


To be able to see a film 2 days before it comes to theaters is awesome. To be able to see it for $5 in my living room is awesome. For it to be viewed in a completely legal fashion is the so awesome it's Rad. Tucker and Dale is 1/2 Club Dread, 1/2 Shaun of the Dead, 1/2 completely original, and 1/2 Beauty and the Beast. That's a lot of halves and when added up they equal freakin' awesome, hilarious, hillbilly comedy in the woods. When Tucker and Dale go on vacation to their newly purchased "vacation cabin" in the woods they are so happy. This vacation for them is to fix the place up, so to make it really nice when they take an R&R vacation there in the future. When some college kids end up camping in the woods nearby, it's of no concern to our friendly rednecks. When out night fishing, Tucker and Dale see one of the college girls fall in the water and they save her. They take her back to the cabin and tend to her till she is better. The bad news is the rest of her group thinks they kidnapped her, and so they decide to get her back. From the trailers, we all know the plot, so I am not giving anything away in the next few sentences. One by one they try and attack either Tucker or Dale, and one by one they succumb to gruesome, horrific accidental deaths. From T&D's perspective, it must be a crazy mass ritual suicide. From the surviving college kids, every time one dies, it appears to the rest of them that T&D killed said person. It is such a funny comedy, I'm sure we missed at least 20% of the punchlines due to laughing so hard before the punchline was even delivered. Several times we had to pause it, finish laughing, pick our butts up off the ground, put them back on our body, then continue to see what we missed during the hoopla. I gotta say, this is way more than a "trailer movie", even though that is what I had been reading. I was wondering why I had read so much from people who had seen this movie last year. Then I found out it played at Sundance in 2010, but was delayed a theatrical release till tomorrow. I am still yet to see any trailer for T&D on network TV, Cable, or any avenue other than the web. It was the directors first major film, and he directed very similar to Jay Chandrashekar's  (Broken Lizard) Club Dread. So all the bodies start piling up, but what are our heroes to do? Call the cops? And say what? These crazy kids started killing themselves all over our property? Yeah right. I do feel this will be as watched as Shaun of the Dead has become. It certainly is as quotable. "Man, he is heavy for half a person." is just one of the golden gems you are in for. I am more than a little disappointed that it is not even showing in my hometown. We have 2 theaters comprising 22 total screens and no one has the balls to put this internet hit out there. Pathetic. If I was a theater owner, I would be in the know for what real people wanted to see. The Lion King? PFFFFT. I've seen that like 20 times, but Tucker and Dale vs. Evil? That's what I'd be preaching. In fact, if people bought tickets to the Lion King, I'd tell em it's in theater 4, and then I lock them in there while I actually showed them T&D. That's capitalism. For the masses who wait till DVD for this film, you will regret every moment you waited once you see it for the first time. Plus the director is Sally Fields son, and you know what they say? It's all about who you know.

PS.- I recorded it, so by the time it hits DVD, I will have seen it at least 10 times. Anyone who knows me and wants to come over and watch it, come on!!

NBM rates Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment