The Facebook

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rubber


I could not have fathomed that the 400th post would be on the film Rubber. It is not, however, the 400th review, so we still have that milestone to accomplish. This is actually #380, so if you have some requests for an Epic #400, let me know. Back to the film of the hour. One word comes to mind....Regret. As in, I regret I did not watch this sooner, I regret I do not own it, and I regret I waited a week to give you all inspirational words making you run to find a copy. What makes this film better than Great, is its Direction. I want you to imagine WALL-E and multiply it by 10. By that, I am talking emotion. Not yours, but the main characters. WALL-E did not speak, but we knew what he was feeling. All of emotions came through loud and clear through a series of bleeps and bloops. Rubber, on the other hand, takes an inanimate tire and gives it emotion. It is brilliant. We know what is going through his mind - er, hole- at all times. Essentially this is a film about a tire who can move freely and with the mere vibration of his being, he can take life. He does not start out as a ruthless killer, but that is where he evolves to. At 90 minutes it seems like that may be a long time to watch a tire roll around the desert. What makes this film not only tolerable, but hilarious and fun is the randomness of everything going on. From the opening scene when we are visually impacted by a dirt road filled with wooden chairs and a man holding 20 pairs of binoculars. If that isn't good enough, the next 5 minutes will make you fully invest yourself in what's to come. The opening monologue may be the greatest speech and presentation of all time. The director lets us follow Robert (The Tire) as he learns to roll, and his knowledge along the journey from there.  It is funny to see Robert get frustrated because he can't do something, but he just keeps rolling on. Then he realizes his power of destruction. From this point on, you had better not wrong him or else. You may be reading this and asking yourself, What's the point? Why is he alive? All I have to say is, No Reason. It is just pure entertainment that led to the following quote on a message board, "After watching Rubber and explaining the plot to my parents, they now think I smoke pot." Classic. This movie is definitely geared toward the male species as the female species tend to over analyze everything. If you try and over analyze this, your head may explode.

NBM rates Rubber - A Work of Art!!
**I rated it the highest because it is unapologetic, funny, and anyone who could pitch this idea and get funding must be a genius**

No comments:

Post a Comment