The Facebook

Friday, September 9, 2011

Gnomeo & Juliet


Ok, so I have been saying, "Disney is dead" all year long and though I still stand behind that, Tangled is pretty awesome. However, Gnomeo & Juliet is just solid story telling and originality... to a degree. It is also a Touchstone Pictures film. Maybe I give Disney to much flack. Considering that every film company now does animated movies, perhaps they are just outgunned. I will give a Tangled review this week as well, but today it's all about the Gnomes. Gnomes are funny, and to see them as thinking people just makes it funnier. It kind of reminded me of the first time I saw Toy Story back in 1995. The story of Gnomeo and Juliet, which we all know is actually Romeo and Juliet is just hilarious. What I didn't know about this film was the characters were all based on the classic Shakespeare tragedy. The Gnomes call each other The Reds or The Blues. They tend to their masters gardens all day, and they are only separated from each other by a single privacy fence. They go about their day when the masters leave for the day. The Masters are aptly names Montague and Capulet, and though brief, their exchanges are absolutely perfect. Pay attention, because they are never the focus and we never see their faces, but the dialogue is perfect. Also, you all know I love movies that reference movies, and this one does just that. It is usually cartoons that do tend to do it and Gnomeo & Juliet does it well. Braveheart, that's all I'm saying. I enjoyed this film as I watched it with my wife and then again the next day with my kids. I liked it more than they did, but they are only 2, and don't know what is good and what is food. I do recommend this film for kids and adults. It has those adult humor jokes that makes these films more enjoyable for us, yet kids are none the wiser of what has been said. It is a new take on a very old play, and Shakespeare himself shows up....HILARIOUS...but you'll have to watch it to get any more info than that.

NBM rates Gnomeo & Juliet - Awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment