The Facebook

Saturday, January 22, 2011

2012

I will admit I had very little hope for 2012. Not only did I have barely the right amount of desire to watch, but with a run time of 2 1/2 hours it was going to be a commitment. My mentality doesn't make the situation any better. If I start a movie, I must finish it. I cannot leave it without knowing what happened. I quickly realized that like most critically dumped on movies, this one was not bad at all. I found myself really enjoying it. The absolute absurdity of the action scenes was definitely over the top, but so much fun to watch. The special effects were flawless. Anytime you have a movie that relies 100% on it's "AWE" factor and thus uses CG to the fullest. There is a big possibility they will mess it up. Not the case with 2012. Every explosion, earthquake, fireball, ground collapsing, tidal wave, and the airplane scenes were all phenomenal. I do like the fact that it all started in California. Because if its gonna be the end of the world, I would have a little comfort knowing that at least LA was the first to go for all the years of dealing with hearing about LA. Even at the long run time, it was never slow. It flowed extremely well. What really brought it home for me was the Woody Harrelson character. He plays a conspiracy theorist who blogs and has a radio program broadcasting live from Yellowstone. He knows the end of the world is coming and he is happy about it. His on screen time is brilliant and you really feel like he is just being himself. Apparently the US gov't has devised a plan to assure the survival of the human race. 1 Billion euros gets you aboard the ship (Noah's Ark style). The tides will rise so high, they would need a vessel to handle it and hold a good number of population fro re-growth. Three vessels await in China and I was into it until the very end. Oliver Platt is great as usual, along with Danny Glover as the POTUS and a great performance by the soon to be household name Chiwetel Ejiofor. John Cusack is always good and his life is in a bit of disarray. Ex wife, kids who don't respect him, and their new step dad who is a rich doctor. Luckily the rich Doc has taken a few flight lessons which helps them stay alive more than once. I was more impressed than I thought I could ever be, and if you had the littlest shred of inclination to see 2012 then you should watch it. Just allot enough time to complete in a single sitting.

NBM rates 2012 Awesome

Buy Your Copy Today
  

No comments:

Post a Comment