The Facebook

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fight Club

Being somewhat of an insomniac last night, I was unable to fall asleep till close to 5am. I began visually stocking my house with new furniture from the IKEA in my brain. I then began to wonder in my current state of delirium if anyone around my current dwelling was awake and willing to hit me as hard as they could, hopefully directly in the ear. Apparently being punched and retaliating turns into an all out fight, which in turn helps one sleep. This is gonna be a tough one to write, because the 1st rule is I can't talk about it, and the 2nd rule is I CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT!! Narrator (Edward Norton) as he is credited is the insomniac I am comparing to. He doesn't sleep. Can't, no matter how hard he tries. One day on a flight home he meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) who makes and sells soap. Pleasant exchange, business cards are given and they go their separate ways. Then Narrator gets home to his condo in flames. He has no choice but to call Tyler for a place to stay. A very unlikely friendship blossoms. On their first night out together, Tyler has a strange request. "I want you to hit me as hard as you can." Then, you guessed it, ear shot. A quick retaliatory punch by Durden and that brings the evening to an end. They cannot get past the rush they felt over the initial exchange so they decide to have all out fights in the parking lot of a local bar. Then one night a passer by asks the question in a very desperate voice, Can I be next? Two turned to three and three to six and so on. Now you have a club of people fighting which has moved underground and has begun to be somewhat legitimate. They have rules. Legitimacy. From here Tyler starts doing other questionable tasks behind his new best friend and co-founders back. Enter Project mayhem. A bunch of the club members now are pretty much an army of vigilantes taking on the tyranny of pop culture America. At one point it is minor vandalism and mostly unharmful. Then one of their own gets killed and the rules change. Tyler is out of his mind and Narrator can't stop him, no matter how hard he tries. Meanwhile Marla (Bonham Carter) is a girl Tyler has been seeing all the while see has a very different history with Narrator. He has such an honest disdain for this woman, but he knows Tyler is becoming capable of anything. Marla is now in trouble, and our hero wants to save her from Durden's games. The ramifications of what Tyler's army are doing is way to much to handle for one man, so he enlists the police, which turns out to be one of his worst decisions ever. As Tyler's ultimate plan unfolds Narrator has one final shot to keep him from ruining everything. Not just his life, but America in a sense. It all comes down one awesome final fight between the two once best friends. Marla is in the middle and super pissed, but what are you gonna do? Out in 1999 this was, along with The Matrix, my two favorite movies of that year and probably in the following three years I watched Fight Club no less than 25 times. I haven't watched it in a while, so I need to relive the old days, and enjoy what David Fincher gave to us. I know you will love where Tyler takes you if you haven't yet seen this turn of the century masterpiece film. There is nothing not to love about this film based on an underground casual Club de Fighting.

NBM rates Fight Club - A Work of Cinematic Art

Buy It!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment