The Facebook

Thursday, February 3, 2011

P.S. I Love You

I'm gonna get back to writing for the ladies, but I will say this supposed "chic flick" blew me away with it's originality, dark subject matter, and superb acting. I will be the first to say how unattractive I think Hilary Swank is. In fact I tend to call her horse-face most of the time. It's hard for me to watch her on screen and get past her unattractiveness. In fact she is an awesome actress, but her "put 'em" is more better suited for roles such as Million Dollar Baby, where she is suppose to get it punched in. P.S. I Love You needed an actress of her caliber to make it believable. It follows the story of two young people, Holly (Swank) and Gerry ( Gerard Butler) and the love that blossoms between them. She meets him while on holiday in Ireland. He is the perfect guy and their whirlwind romance is quickly concreted in the nuptial form. Unfortunately Gerry is taken from her rather soon after. He had an illness that he could not beat. About a month after his passing, Holly receives the first of a years worth of personal letters, messages, anniversary gifts, and birthday presents that Gerry had the forethought of scheduling to help her with the closure aspect. At first it seems to make it worse, almost a rehashing of her pain. The letters and notes are very personal and often deal with Holly's long term issues of "going for it", and living life to the fullest. Each recording and letter and message ends with the words P.S. I Love You. Even in their marriage she was terrified of stepping out of her comfort zone. About 6 months into these constant reminders of Gerry, one of her confidants begins to fall for her. Daniel (Connick, Jr.) continues to push, but not in that mean, inconsiderate disrespectful way, but in the classy way. She just doesn't see him that way. The letters provide the best kind of guilt for Holly to break out of her shell. The guilt of her dead husbands final wishes. It's a brilliant film that is extremely heart felt, and it does one thing very well. It makes the entire male race look like a bunch of jerks, because until you watch this film you would have never thought about doing any of the wonderful things Gerry accomplishes from beyond the grave. His ultimate goal was to make sure that she would be able to move on with her life without him and be ok with her decisions. One of the most unselfish acts ever. He may be the most considerate man on Earth. A little to good if I do say so myself. It almost leads me to believe he may actually have what the Doctor's call a "mangina". BTW: Best funeral ever. That's exactly how I would want it....in a bar.

NBM rates P.S. I Love You - Phenomenal

Buy It Today



No comments:

Post a Comment