The Facebook

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Get Low

I know it is supposed to be Classic films week here at NBM, but I feel it would be a great disservice to you all not to talk about Get Low now that it is available on DVD. Out yesterday, this may be one of the films I will most push onto anyone I run into. It is a must see, if for no other reason but the scene pictured above. This movie was snubbed by the Oscars. It is everything Oscar loves. Indie film that no one saw or heard about with a great story. It shouldn't surprise me anymore that the Oscar committee sucks, but every year I get a little perturbed at them for at least one thing. I feel Robert Duvall deserved a nomination for Leading actor, and although I haven't seen some of the films, and as much as I love Jeff Bridges, I do feel Duvall deserved his spot. Bridges did awesome as Rooster, but Duvall as the back woodsman hermit who wants to throw himself a funeral party before he dies is absolutely astounding in every way. As for the Best Picture category, I think it could've replaced either Toy Story 3 or True Grit. I will be the first to say that the Toy Story franchise has been life changing for me personally, but it is nominated in the animated feature category. I don't feel films should be able to be in two categories that are essentially the same. True Grit is a re make, that although done well did not get me like Get Low did last night. Get Low follows the story of the Hermit with a reputation comprised entirely of the town folk's stories. He lives off his land and has done for 40 years. One day he went into town to see about a funeral. When the whispers began, he heard them but paid no mind. He knows he is revered as the scary old man who lives in the woods, and he is fine with that. He wants to set the record straight, so he ends up at the struggling Quinn funeral home with cash and a plan. He wants anyone who has a story about him to show up and tell it. Frank (Bill Murray) is the owner and has no issue with Felix's plan. The only problem is to get people to attend a party for a man everyone fears or hates. Felix and Frank print posters, set the date, and then Felix drops a heck of a marketing bomb to ensure it's a full house. Now with the mood set, Felix needs to get some affairs in order, and let it all come to a head. This is one of the best movies I've seen as of late. It's provocative in the fact that you always feel there is more to Felix than he lets on. Then there's Frank. We can't really tell if he is a swindler, or a friend, or a mere business man making his customer happy. This film goes from light hearted fun with great comedic delivery by Duvall to emotionally gripping and heartfelt. By the end, I was several drinks in and my emotions were strong as Duvall delivered an incredibly powerful speech. My only regret is that I spent $1 to rent this at a box that is painted red. I should've saved that buck and put it toward the purchase price.

NBM rates Get Low - Phenomenal
**It may get a bump over the next few years of watching it.

Buy It!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment