The Facebook

Monday, February 14, 2011

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Upon posting for the film P.S. I Love You, Dean-O challenged me to not only write a post based on a female driven movie for Valentines Day, but a film that I have a guilty pleasure enjoying. A film no man should watch, let alone like. I really think he just wants to peer into my soul to see if I am really a man or not, but nonetheless I will oblige him. I like this challenge. The obvious choice would be on a movie I have already posted about, The Notebook (read here). I have racked my brain, and I came up with 2 films that I have not yet written about. How awesome am I? I will not only rise above the request, but I will do both movies and post them on consecutive days. This is the first. Ya-Ya!!!!!! I saw this in the theater with my wife and her mother (Husband of the Year, right?). Me and one other person of Male capacity were in a packed house full of estrogen overload. Truth is I like movies and will watch nearly anything. It didn't hurt to have Sandra Bullock and Ashley Judd to look at. Plus James Garner is the man, and I will enjoy everything he does until he is no longer with us. I didn't relate to this film at all, which is why it was great. It knew its core audience, but at the same time the dialogue driven script kept it very interesting. The film is about the impossibilities of the Mother/Daughter relationship. Siddalee (Bullock) plays a woman in distress. He current mindset is triggered by her upcoming nuptials. As she is suppose to marry, she starts recollecting how much her parents couldn't stand each other, and how the children were the ones who had to pay with years of counseling and always wondering why they weren't good enough. The flashback aspect of the film is great. Viviane (Judd) is Sidda's Mother while Ellen Burstyn is the older Viviane during current day. It basically shows how the alcoholism takes over Viv's life, and how that affects the people she loves. All the people except the all for one Ya-Ya's. The Ya-Ya Sisterhood are comprised of four life long friends who vow to always be together. They even pull an Alan and become blood sisters when they are 12 or so. James Garner is Shep, Viv's husband and Father to the kids. He adds the only man factor present in the film. He plays the part of "married too long to the same woman, but why start over now" perspective. It is brilliant, and while everyone bickers and fights, he sits there quietly never getting involved. Very wise man. The point of the entire film is to salvage family, or whats left of it anyway. The on screen resentment and bitterness is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I think this works so well because there are so many movies about the brothers and the bonds that be, but the sisters don't get much play. I will admit to Dean-O and the rest of you this is one of my guilty pleasures. If its on, I have no issue sittin' right down and enjoying every second of it. Happy Valentines Day to all and remember on this VD day try not to catch the VD and you will have a much better day.

NBM rates Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - Phenomenal

Buy Yours Today



1 comment:

  1. Well done, my friend. You've risen to the challenge. In honor of VD day your quote of the week could be the infamous Jimmy Dugan's "Avoid the Clap". Also agree with you on the First Class trailer - much better than I expected it to appear based on pre-release press.

    ReplyDelete