The Facebook

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Million Dollar Baby

If Million Dollar baby does not win the Oscar for Best Picture, I swear to God.... Seriously though I will admit I hardly ever watch films that win loads of Oscars mainly because I feel most of the time it's wrong. When This film won for Picture, Actress (Swank), Director (Eastwood), and supporting actor (Freeman) it was more of a turn off on a film I didn't have much hope for anyway. Low and behold 7 years later  finally came o night when Million Dollar Baby was the best option for Saturday night entertainment. I had seen more of it than A-Bomb when we started it. I watched about 8 minutes of it while I was working and I was witness to the "broken nose" scene which made me think it wouldn't be that bad. Within the first 15 minutes we were hooked, mostly because of the narrative, humorous, sarcastic dialogue. Freeman and Eastwood really play well together. They seem like they truly are old pals when on screen. Frankie (Eastwood) is a trainer/ manager for up and coming boxers with potential. Even though he is the best, he has never been in the corner with any fighter for a title shot. His know everything attitude and fear keep him from taking his fighters to that level. Then she shows up. Maggie (Swank) is a white trash Missouri girl who's only talent was being able to take a beating, but not lose. She has no real boxing talent, and she wants Frankie to train her, unfortunately he doesn't train girls. This doesn't deter her from showing up at his gym and stay all hours of the day with no help. She has the drive and the heart, but not the knowledge. Eventually Frankie gives in, probably because of the challenge aspect, but needless to say she becomes a winner. So much so no other fighters will get in the ring with her. She knocks out every opponent in the first round which embarrasses the other managers. Frankie must go to extreme measures just to get fighters in the ring with her. She continues to win and eventually she gets to see the world facing international fighters that are way more challenging than she is used to. It's a great underdog story, but where it's headed and where it actually goes are two completely different directions. I have never seen a movie go from being so awe inspiring about one persons journey to be a champ to just being flat out depressing. I don't remember another film that swayed my emotions like that in the span of one scene. Directing is superb as always Mr. Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman is brilliant as usual. Knowing what you are witnesses, but still wondering how its all gonna end is mind blowing. As a viewer you really feel lost. Not confused at all, but just pondering what is left, and where do we go from here. It's an extremely sad, but brilliant film that I wished I had watched much earlier. It completely deserved every award it was given and I now back it up 100%.
P.S. - It made The AP tear up a little bit.

NBM rates Million Dollar Baby - Phenomenal

Buy It!!



1 comment: