The Facebook

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Adventures of Robin Hood

This seems like the perfect film to finish out my classic films week. Talk about a legendary movie comprised from an old story of folk lore and legend. Robin Hood has spawned so many movies and I don't speak of sequels. Just straight word for word stories remade every generation. Anyone who loves the the Robin Hood story and has seen every rendition made will easily say that the only true Robin Hood is Errol Flynn. Made in 1938 I originally saw this movie for the first and only time years ago, that is, until today. The film was being played on TCM in a brilliant lead in to Oscar night. For the past 30 days they have played all films old and new that were nominated or won Oscars. (Thanks Dean-O for the heads up.... ("First useful thing you've ever done for me", The Jester mutters under his breath.) Seriously though, I watched it again today and the only thing that disappointed me was the plethora of color. The first time I saw it, it was Black and White. I do prefer B&W pictures to remain that way. Everyone knows the story of how Robin Hood defends his country against the evil Sheriff of Knottingham and how he will die for what he believes in. He steals from the rich and wicked to give to the poor. He assembles his merry men and they all fight as one unit. The story is the same, but the details vary. It's actually King Richards brother Prince John taking over. Robin must stop Prince John from lethally taking over his brothers country. The stunts were fun to watch and pay attention to how they did them. Errol Flynn with his over confident charisma as Sir Robin of Locksley really plays well. I had so much fun re-watching this superb action film made over 70 years ago. It will never not be the best, and it obviously has staying power. I can't wait for the 100th anniversary blu ray to come out in 2038. I will be getting my own copy at that point.


NBM rates The Adventures of Robin Hood - A Cinematic Work of Art

Buy It!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment