The Facebook

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Help



As all of you know my sweet husband is a lover of movies good and bad. I am a lover of books only good ones of course. I will not be writing a blog on no bad books anytime soon, because I have read some pretty bad ones. This is where I have to sadly admit that I have not read The Help. I have been meaning to read it for months, before the movie came out, and just never made time for it. I wouldn't normally see a movie before reading the book, because I'm a firm believer that the book is always better than the move. This is where the Jester and I differ a little, but that is one of those arguments where you just have to agree to disagree. When I had the opportunity to see the movie I broke my own rule. I just couldn't pass it up and I'm happy that I didn't. 
 
The movie takes place in Jackson Mississippi in 60's when the civil rights movement was in full swing. The world seemed to be changing all around them, but life in the deep South stayed the same. When Skeeter (Emma Stone) returned home from college, she quickly realized that her views have changed a bit compared to her friends and family. When she took a job doing a cleaning advice column for the local paper she started interviewing her friends maid, Aibileen (Viola Davis). She quickly realized Aibileen had more to offer her than cleaning advice. With the help of Aibileen and her friend Minny (Octavia Spencer) Skeeter was able to write a story of what life is like for African American women as maids in the 60's. With this book, secrets were told and friendships were broken, but a few unlikely friendships were made. I have to say at some points in the movie I was laughing out loud and sometimes I was holding back tears. I guess it was what they call an emotional roller coaster. I was happy leaving the theater knowing that times have changed because of strong people like the characters in this movie. Without people like them who knows where the world would be. I'd also like to talk about Hilly. She is played by Bryce Dallas Howard, and she is quickly becoming one of the elite among Hollywood actresses. Hilly is an up front Bible thumping Christian racist. This is funny, because Christians are supposed to accept all of God's children, when in fact, she feels by keeping "The Help" segregated from everyone else, she is doing God's work. It's is sort of a strange irony to say the least. Without her role as the opposition to Skeeter's cause, the movie would not have been as powerful. She is a wealthy socialite hell bent on keeping things as they were. I commend Howard on taking on such a controversial role in today's overly sensitive PC society. As you can probably tell, me and an entire theater full of other Women enjoyed this film. I urge you to go see it if you have had any inclination from the previews you have seen. It is well worth it.

Lisa rates The Help - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment