The Facebook

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sucker Punch


This may be one of the shortest reviews I have done to date. There is not a whole lot to talk about this film. If I ramble on, I fear I may spoil the one aspect we stayed around for. The ending, and how it ties together. I'm sure you have heard some things about it, maybe even the spoilers. I heard the spoilers months before I saw it this week, and though it did not sound all that interesting, I watched it anyway. A person named Tyler recommended it and spoke highly of it. I now do not trust Tyler with how I spend my time. This movie was 30 minutes too long. I don't know how it could have been compressed, but it just seemed to drag on and on and on. Maybe I was tired. If anyone has compelling arguments for it, hit me up. When Baby Doll's mother dies, she and her sister stand to inherit the entire estate. Their stepfather is not happy about this and has Baby Doll committed after her sister dies, so he can have what he wants. When she arrives at this horrible facility, she finds a way to cope/escape. Escape mentally that is. The bulk of the film is sort of a fantasy. She and the other girls devise a plan to escape, but they need a number of items to make this possible. Each item must be acquired while Baby Doll dances. When she is on stage, people seem to trance at her every motion, and this is also when the movie is at it's best. The fantasy of the acquisition really is the whole reason to watch this film. The battles against machines, zombies, and dragons are visually provocative. Each of the items spawn a new fantasy battle which all the girls are involved. They have big guns, and even bigger attitudes. Zack Snyder is know for his green screen expertise and this is no different. Having done 300 (Love it) and Watchmen (Like it a lot), I expected more from Sucker Punch. The music is BA, and perfectly streamed through the battle sequences, but I do feel the plot falls short. The battles are great, but it just isn't enough to make it a brilliant film. The entire plot can be summed up in 15 minutes of screen time. The first ten minutes and the final 5 minutes. The entire middle adds nothing to the overall plot, so it was kind of lost on me. It's funny that way, because to me, the fantasy is the only footage worth watching anyway. For what it is, I get it, but I just wished it could have been more solid throughout, and I think 2 hours was too long.
I am going to try and have someone who Loved this film write a review to counter this review. Maybe someone else can help me understand.

NBM rates Sucker Punch - Good

1 comment:

  1. Sorry but I think this is where I disagree with the title of your blog. This movie was bad. The soundtrack rocked, and the fantasy parts were pretty good, but the rest of the time, I was glad that I was only paying half attention to this one.

    ReplyDelete