The Facebook

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Talihina Sky


Being a Kings of Leon fan, I was not going to miss this documentary, which debuted on Showtime this week. Since Showtime was airing it, I knew it would be uncut, and sure enough it was. Talihina Sky follows the band on their rise from unknown to super stardom and everywhere in between. The band is comprised of 3 brothers and their cousin. When i see documentaries, they always seem a little bit fluffy. By that, I mean, they seem to not be honest to themselves or us in the fact that these films can be edited to make everyone win. This does not do that. It does not paint a pretty picture, or a glamorous one either. What I did not expect was the amount of old footage we get to see. In 2003-04 These guys were unknown, so why would a camera crew follow them? I don't know, but I also don't care. This is a true doc following the band for 7 years. That is amazing. It really does more than just band Q and A. It goes down home. They interview the Kings family members...and not just Mother and Father. I'm talking Oklahoma backwoods Uncles, grandparents, cousins. They even drop in a Followill Family Reunion, which is quite comical. I think it is so brilliant, because we all have family like this. They may not speak proper, but they love their kin. I already was well versed in most things KOL, but I learned a few things that made me go, "Huh". Nathan is the oldest of the brothers and he plays Drums. Caleb is next on guitar and vocals. Jared is the youngest of the three. He is on Bass. The cousin is Matthew on rhythm guitar. Matthew was only 17 when he went out on tour with them for the first time. The funniest thing I learned was that Caleb and Nathan were the ones that got a record deal. With that, they needed the rest of an actual band. Caleb said, how about Jared on Bass, to which the new manager asked if he played bass. The answer was no. Jared basically locked himself in a room and learned as fast as possible. That is impressive to me. Then they needed another guitarist, so the logical choice was to stay in the family. The suggested Matthew. Fearful of the same answer he got with the "Jared" question, he reluctantly asked it again. Can he play? The boys responded this time with, "I don't know, we have only heard him play over the phone. To be able to put together a band that sells out stadiums with half of its members unable to play at the time of signing is impressive to say the least. With the KOL recently cancelling the rest of the North American tour without warning, the speculation is that the band is breaking up. As much as I don't like to hear that, Talihina Sky really opens the fan's eyes to what kind of struggles this band has dealt with over the past decade. After watching some of the knock down, drag out arguments we are shown, it is no surprise it would happen eventually. I do not see any of the members starting new bands, ala the Oasis boys, but I do see an extended Hiatus. Probably at least 2 years, upon which time several songs will be written in the current depressive state by all the boys on their own terms. Everyone needs a break, and after seeing how hard these guys work, they deserve one. I do wish it came on better circumstances, like actually finishing your tour. At least you are not coming near me this time, because I would have my tickets, and I don't know what kind of damage that would have done to my opinion of them. I don't know how this film would come across to someone who is unfamiliar with the band or their music, but for me, it was the tops. I also love the title of the film. Talihina Sky is an untitled hidden track on their first album. It is also the name of the place they grew up. I do recommend this band to anyone who likes music that may be a little different from what they are used to. They now have five albums, and they have progressively grown musically. There first album, "Youth and young manhood" is very raw, ripped up, and thrown down. The second album is as far from a "sophomore slump" as anyone can be. Ah Ha Shake Heartbreak is my favorite album of all 5. With their 3rd, they hit way more mainstream, and tracks off of this album are the first time I remember hearing them on the radio. "On Call" and "Knocked Up" are those tracks. Super stardom set in with their 4th album and the track "Sex on Fire" started it all. It was a lot more pop than they had ever been and it caught on. This album produced 5 tracks that everyone knows due to the overwhelming air play. Come Around Sundown is their latest, and it feels almost like an entirely different band altogether. As you can tell, I am a fan, but this film shows the darkest minutes of the darkest hours of the band's existence. I do recommend this film as entertainment only. It is full of salty language, which may surprise you because the boys grew up very religious as their Father was a preacher. If you don't love them already, this will not help with that. I don't see this film having the same effect that Walk the Line did. When that film came out, Johnny Cash record sales boosted. This film does not focus on the music, it focuses on the family behind the music.

NBM rates Talihina Sky - A Work of Cinematic Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment