The Facebook

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Almost Famous

I am a golden god!!
Any Famous last words?
I dig music.
BOOO!
I 'm on Drugs!!!
YaaaaaaaY!!!


So, many of you may not know that I started this site out of need for a positive take on the films we all love and "They" all hate or loath. Much like Julie from Julie and Julia, I vowed to take on a movie a day for 365 straight days. I have not failed at what many said would be tough to do. In fact, I am only 5 reviews after tonight going to reach that milestone. I already have the 365th review written, as it is fitting to review my favorite movie of all time. Also, I was thinking, being inside a week of completion, I feel I must write about a movie that is very dear to my heart. It holds a permanent place in my Top 10. By permanent, I mean it will never be replaced. I have seen Almost Famous 25 times minimum. Too many times to keep track, that's for sure. I saw it 3 times in the theater, and have appreciated it ever since. It follows a young man, William (Fugit), who has been lied to literally his whole life. It takes place in the 60's and his professor mother has advanced him a couple of times without his knowledge, so at the ripe ol' age of 15, he is not far off from graduating high school....where he is an outcast ready to be done with that particular rat race. He loves music and that is what saves his life. He gets an assignment from the rock critic Lester Bangs, and he is excited. He feels this may be the area he wants to advance in, but is unsure. When he turns in his words on the Black Sabbath show, he receives an even bigger assignment. Unbeknownst to them that William is 15, Rolling Stone magazine calls to get him to do a write up. They don't even know what they want from him, so they let him choose, and naturally he chooses a band that he is a fan of. Stillwater. Not only do they want an article, they want him to tour with the band. Be where they are, and see what they do at all times. He is in, but his controlling mother takes issue. She tends to freak people out with her over bearringness and demeanor. So, basically this 15 year old kid gets the opportunity of a lifetime and off he goes with his favorite band to document what makes them tick. The biggest fear is that he will like them so much he will not be able to be biased and give a true account of his travels. It is, in every sense of the words, a rock opera. Brilliant music, all of which you already know, as it is currently located in the classic rock section. The reality mixed with the fiction makes me so happy as I watch it. We see Humble Pie, Tom Petty, David Bowie, but of course it is not really them, just portrayers showing us the scene Stillwater and William are involved in. The music we see Stillwater perform are all original songs penned for the movie by the one and only Peter Frampton, so you know they are good. It follows band turmoil, along with William's inner struggle to deal with his idols failing him, along with a girl he loves, loves someone else. His best friend on the tour is Penny Lane (Kate Hudson). She is one of 4 groupies band-aids that travel and support Stillwater 24/7. This film also gave me several quotes I use on a weekly basis. Any time I see people fighting, I chime in with "Let's just go get some BBQ." And of course the classic line is "I am a golden god!!", but my favorite to say is when I am upset and someone is not taking me seriously, I will say..." Sweet? Where do you get Sweet? I am dark, and mysterious, and PISSED OFF!! I am the enemy." Though these are great lines, the one that speaks the most real life truth is when Lester explains to William about all those high school kids that hate him. He says, "You will meet them again on the long journey to the middle." Brilliant. Cameron Crowe made several great movies, but this is his masterpiece. It is a great coming of age film about a kid who experiences things most people never will in the entire life let alone when they were 15. I'm just saying, who loses their virginity with a FFFM foursome? That is insane. William grows up even faster than his Mother wanted him to thanks to the guys in Stillwater and Rolling Stone magazine. It is timeless to me and probably you too. In closing I just wanna say, "Hold me closer tiny dancer. Count the headlights on the highway....."

NBM rates Almost Famous - A Cinematic Work of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment