The Facebook

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Haywire

I really thought I missed my opportunity to watch this, but at the same time, I also originally planned Haywire for a DVD rental. Then a buddy of mine stated how much he loved it and I trust him, so less than 24 hours after he said that, I was watching the newest Hollywood butt kicker, Gina Carano, do exactly that. I also realized today that when a film is as hyped as this, sometimes I don't know anything about it. This is how I explained it to my Mother. It's an Action movie with Michael Douglas. Good reviews and a Great Director and that is good enough for me. I really enjoyed getting into this film not knowing where it was going, and where it took me was rather enjoyable. The one thing I really enjoyed was seeing Soderbergh's newest cast ensemble masterpiece form one scene at a time. As you know he assembled one of the best casts of all time with Ocean's 11,12, and 13. Haywire was just as astounding. Soderbergh is a master Director. The way he forms the story is awesome. The opening scene we meet two of the many players in a coffee shop. A coffee shop that doesn't sell beer...Thank you Channing Tatum. Tatum plays Aaron and as you know I have never met an Aaron I didn't like. This guy on the other hand is a little off. He sits across from Mallory (Gina) and within minutes it goes from great conversation to a brawl and we still don't know why. Then Soderbergh does what he does. He tells a story in flashback till we catch up live for the final half hour of what is to come. She is being set up, but by who and why are her questions. Kenneth (Ewan McGregor) is her boss and through him she meets mostly not nice people. I was thrown by the review board on RT. 81% of critics liked it and only 43% of users liked it. This is backwards by the way. I did figure out the split right quick though. Soderbergh essentially made an artistic action film. Great music to no music at all. Long, drawn out scenes that could have been shortened. Over explanation. Haywire has the longest foot chase in film history, which I enjoyed, but is very unusual in today's films. If Ronin has the longest car chase in history, then Haywire is it's equal, only with feet instead of wheels. I swear she chased that guy for 6 minutes, and it wasn't like a Bourne chase through buildings and breaking windows and rooftops. No, just chased him through the streets. The movie really picks up steam when Fassbender shows up as an MI6 operative and from this point on, it doesn't slow down. At only 90 minutes, it is quick and concise. Other power players include Antonio Banderas with a very nice beard, and Bill Paxton as Mallory's Father. If you can't tell by now, I loved Haywire. I wanna rate it a Work of Art, but I don't know if that is justified. I need to watch it again and really absorb all the artistic aspects of this film. On a side note, the fights and the choreography are the best I HAVE EVER SEEN! Maybe it's Carano's previous job that made me really get into it. I see Jolie fight in a lot of her films, but I always doubt a 100 pound femme fatale could really do that much damage to everyone she encounters. Gina on the other hand is built for it. The fight scenes themselves, which are many, are first class. The punches landed sound real, and the length of the fights are awesome. She doesn't just punch them out for the count. Oh no, she gets her ass handed to her in each fight, and like I said, I believe it. The fight scenes are a Work of Art, but the film as a whole...
NBM rates Haywire - Phenomenal

No comments:

Post a Comment